X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Error outside my Memory range?

Greetings Memtesters.

Mainboard: Asrock G31M-S
    RAM: 2x 2GB DDR2 667Mhz sticks by Samsung, default timings of 5-5-5-15 (and used default timings for the test).

Issue: While I hardly get errors during a single run of the full 10-test feature, the one that is prominent on screen shows a hex-code of a memory bank that is "apparently" at about 4700 MB. How is that possible, if my RAM only adds up to 4 GB? When I sit and hold hands with memtest, I notice that the errors that accumulate only happen when the individual tests try to run something through a memory range higher than 4096. I can only use version 4 due to the mainboard not supporting UEFI, in case you ask.

Solving the mystery of "Ram outside my ram" would be much appreciated. I swear I didn't download that RAM :P

The issue you are describing seems similar to this one:
    http://www.passmark.com/forum/showth...-of-that-range

It is normal for the system memory to be larger than the amount of RAM in your system due to certain address ranges being assigned to non-RAM elements (MMIO, device memory, etc.)

You can see the memory map of all memory ranges (in RAM) being tested when you select 'Print Memory Map' under 'Miscellaneous Options' in the config menu.

Comment

Thank you Keith for the answer, and I apologize for the delay in getting back to you!

How would I go about trying to find the thing that causes this issue and how does Memtest86 even find it, while it is only testing Ram? Because what I do notice is there are tests being done on a pattern addressing 4GB to 5GB to which I have to wonder why and how that even works?

Is there a way to let the test stop and save as a log with version 4 of memtest? Because I do not have a UEFI bios.

Here are two "screen-shots" to show what happened on the screen;

http://i.imgur.com/ZY4WIkz.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/1r568SG.jpg

Comment

Looks like RAM errors, just replace the RAM.

Comment

Well, the thing is, I never experienced issues with my RAM.

Tech support of that game asked me to run a memtest86 test to see if there is problem with the RAM. But the thing is, it's the only game where I have problems. All other games run completely fine, and said game is also the only thing that makes my computer bluescreen every once in a while, but throwing a video card software related error as the cause. On the contrary, I'm pretty sure it's something in the engine that craps itself because things are loaded too slow. I have other games that demand more memory, and other games that are even more demanding on the system in general which don't throw any errors at all.

Whenever I run the memtests, then the only error comes up when things are tested outside my memory range, and not even always. The errors are not even happening at the same time or the same tests at all times.

So when I never had problems with RAM before, or even any associated problems with that, until suddenly that game decide to put a new thing in their graphics stuff, then why should my RAM coincidentally be broken the same day that patch was delivered ? Video encoding, image editing and music production with quite memory hungry projects did not even flinch at all or crashed randomly.

Comment

Working...
          X