Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Errors in Memtest86 on Skylake, yet Computer Passing every Stress test?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Errors in Memtest86 on Skylake, yet Computer Passing every Stress test?

Been having a bit of an odd problem. Built a new computer about 2 months ago, and have been gaming on it with minimal crashes / BSODs, and everything has been great with it.

Randomly, I tested the ram with memtest86, and it crapped out and error-ed in test 6. Tested each ram stick by themselves in each DIMM slot, and no errors. Then went back to testing them together, and again, errors in same place - Test 6. Swapped my ram from 1-3 DIMM, to 2-4 DIMM, and again, errors in test 6.

Dosent matter if the ram is in XMP OC or not, it causes this error. Now, since then, I have ran every benchmark I can think of on this computer, Prime95, RealBench, ImgBurn, even Furmark, and nothing. 12 hours each and no blue screens, no crashes at all.

I'm thinking of RMAing the ram just to be safe, but has anyone had this issue before?

Computer Specs are:
    i7-6700k
    MSI Z170A GAMING M5 Mobo
    Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB (2x8GB) DDR4 DRAM 3000MHz C15
    NVIDIA GeForce GTX 970
    Samsung SSD 850 EVO 500GB
    Seagate ST1000DM003-9YN162 1TB
    ASUS Xonar DSX
    Windows 10

Which version of MemTest86 are you running?
    How many errors are you getting for Test 6? Do you have a screenshot/log of the errors?

Comment

Originally posted by keith View Post
      Which version of MemTest86 are you running?
      How many errors are you getting for Test 6? Do you have a screenshot/log of the errors?
      Ran the test again, and seem to have even more errors this time

http://imgur.com/9iHOyY7

link above goes to the test.

Going to RMA ram, as it seems like even thou I have no real issues now in windows, dont mean nothing is wrong.

Comment

The errors do seem to indicate a real fault, as the errors are 1-bit and localized in a specific memory range. But as you mentioned before, testing each RAM individually didn't expose any errors. Although you are already sending the RAM for RMA, here are a few other things you could try:

- Check for an updated BIOS
        - Run the tests in parallel mode
        - Run the legacy MemTest86 v4 and compare the results

Comment

Just incase anyone was following this thread,

RMA'd my ram, and the new ones are running 100% full OC with zero errors in memtest86. Guess my old ram was bad, and even thou I could see no errors within windows, the ram was still faulty.

Ty passmark for making a wonderful program and saving me from headaches down the line.

Comment

Working...
          X