Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

MemTest resulted in 11 errors. How to proceed?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• MemTest resulted in 11 errors. How to proceed?

Hey guys,

As I got a lot of 0x0124 bluescreens of late (mainly during gaming), I ran MemTest86 overnight. The RAM I have is a pair of Corsair 8GB DDR3 XMP PC3-12800. The test produced quite a few errors during different tests:

Link to report

So my question is: what is the best course of action? Some ideas:
    • Try the 2 modules separately and try again to see which is broken, followed by replacing that? Or would this screw up the pairing quality and thus performance?
    • Or should I just replace both?
    • Or is there another option, like disabling the broken range?
    • The test results are negative on tests 3 through 6. Does this indicate a specific issue?

Any thoughts / help is appreciated.

Cheers!

If you have time to spare and a tight budget, test each stick individually & just replace the bad stick with similar spec RAM.

But the better faster solution is to just replace both sticks.

Given the low cost of RAM it isn't worth any deeper analysis.

Comment

Point taken, I am considering that option as budget isn't particularly a problem.

I started running memtest on both sticks individually in the meantime. The first stick produced 14 errors before hitting second pass, so I tossed that out. The second one is still going, flawless results halfway through the test.

Given that the RAM is barely a year old and still easy to find on the market, I guess I'll try for warranty first, and if that fails, simply replace the second module.

Odd that this happened though. This is my 3rd pair of Corsair modules in over 10 years, never had any issues with the brand before.

Comment

Update: as expected, running memtest on the modules separately revealed that only one of them had errors. Running on just one module now and played an evening of games without bluescreens. Problem resolved, new RAM module incoming tomorrow.

Cheers for providing the program, helped a ton!

Comment

Always nice to hear good news stories.

Comment

Working...
          X