Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Memory errors only when Ethernet cable plugged in???

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Memory errors only when Ethernet cable plugged in???

So I got a BSOD in Windows 7 yesterday and I inspected the log file, but nothing that informative. So I ran MemTest86 from a bootable USB stick and almost immediately errors were detected. So I unplugged my USB mouse and keyboard from the laptop and my network cable from the LAN port. I ran MemTest86 again and no errors appeared. So I only plugged in the LAN cable to the ethernet port, but not the USB mouse or keyboard. Ran MemTest86 again and the same errors came up when scanning memory within seconds of starting the test. I unplugged the ethernet cable and no memory errors.

I went into the BIOS and disabled the LAN card on the laptop and am now using the WiFi card instead.

Has anyone seen this odd behavior before where the LAN card interferes with the MemTest86 memory test? Or I should say the LAN card when the RJ-45 cable is plugged into it. Obviously the LAN board is going bad, but for it to affect the Memtest86 is strange to me.

It appears this is a Toshiba problem as I found this thread. Considering Toshiba is out of the consumer market now I will just upgrade my WiFi card.

http://www.passmark.com/forum/showth...ortege-Laptops

Comment

Yes, the problem was reported some years back. The person who found the problem was going to report it to Toshiba.

So you might want to check with Toshiba to see if they have new BIOS firmware available.

Just for the record, what model laptop is it and what firmware version.

Comment

Have the latest BIOS v6.30 on the Qosmio x875-Q7290. With Toshiba basically dropping all consumer laptops it's a futile effort, IMO, trying to get any decent support from them especially if they have yet to address this issue. My solution is upgrade the WiFi card to an Intel 7260 and just disable the NIC. I'm good with that. The stock WiFi adapter that came with it was weak sauce, even back in 2012, which was an Intel 2230.

Originally posted by David (PassMark) View Post
        Yes, the problem was reported some years back. The person who found the problem was going to report it to Toshiba.

So you might want to check with Toshiba to see if they have new BIOS firmware available.

Just for the record, what model laptop is it and what firmware version.

Comment

And let me reiterate that the BSOD in Windows 7 and the errors in MemTest86 starts only when the NIC is enabled AND the RJ-45 cable is plugged in. Strange indeed.

Comment

Working...
          X