HAMMER Test takes too much time in v7.0 beta1

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• HAMMER Test takes too much time in v7.0 beta1

Running the memtest86 v7.0 beta1 on a system. It is running HAMMER TEST (test 13) for more than a day.

Why? Is it a issue or normal?
    Click image for larger version

Name:	memtest86_42hours.png
Views:	1
Size:	31.7 KB
ID:	35293

You do seem to have a lot of RAM in the box. So much so that it seems to have overflowed the field. I assume it is 524GB of RAM you have?

We haven't tested MemTest86 on machines with this much RAM. So we don't know the run time. But it does seem too long.

We'll have a look into it.

Comment

Yes. We have 512GB RAM. Shall I stop the test? or let it be running?

If you have a fix, please let me know the download location.

Comment

It is still running on the machine for more than 2 days. Did you look into this issue?

Name:	memtest_63hours.png
Size:	36.0 KB
ID:	34982

Comment

Yes, stop it.
          It is unlikely you'll find significant errors in the hammer test in DDR4 ECC RAM.

No we won't be able to look at it until next week.

We are aware of some manufacturers slowing down the RAM accesses when an access pattern like the hammer test is detected (to avoid errors). So this might also be a contributing factor to the slowness.

Comment

Can you e-mail us a copy of the MemTest86.log file under EFI\BOOT\ of the USB drive.

The extremely long test time is likely due to the amount of RAM in your system. We will look into making some adjustments for systems with large amount of RAM like yours.

Comment

I could not collect the logs, since I executed the Bootx64.efi directly via NetApp Boot Loader.
              On another machine with similar config, I allowed it to run for completion. It ran for a week. See the screenshot.

Name:	Agusta_memtest86_complete_report.jpg
Size:	53.5 KB
ID:	34986

Comment

David,

Do you have any update? Or Shall I try with newly released version 7 of Memtest86?

Comment

Yes, please give the official v7.0 release a try. The test time for Test 13 has been reduced for systems with large amounts of RAM.

Comment

Working...
                  X