System with DDR4 memory fails MemTest86 V5.01

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• System with DDR4 memory fails MemTest86 V5.01

I was using MemTest86 v. 5.01 to test a computer with four banks, two channels, of DDR4 ram installed. Running all tests (1-11), with all eight cores in parallel, could not be executed ten (10) consecutive times without an error. Every error encountered was always during Test #7 [Block move]; and always CPU 1 or 2 was indicated. Reducing the number of DIMMs and/or moving to different a slot would not allow for a consistent error free series of 10 consecutive passes (usually the first errors would be encountered during Pass 3-5). I eventually scaled down to just running Test #7 to help speed up the troubleshooting, but never could narrow down to a single slot/DIMM that would run error free.

Next I switched to using MemTest86 V6.3.0, and put the system into UEFI mode. I did a quick test of running Test #7 eleven (11) consecutive times against a single DIMM/slot that had failed earlier; this was successful, and 100% error free.

Now I'm currently running all tests (1-13), with all eight cores in parallel, for eleven (11) times. It's actively running Test 9 [Modulo 20, ones & zeros] in Pass 3 without encountering any errors so far.

My question to others who have MemTest86 experience, if all eleven passes of MemTest86 V6.0.3 are successful, should I still be concerned about the errors that were reported during the testing with MemTest86 V5.01?

Thanks in advance,

-jp

I think you are confusing MemTest86 with MemTest86+.
    MemTest86+ isn't our software.

There is a bug in MemTest86+ V5.01. It produces false positives on Test #7.
    There are some details here,
    http://forum.canardpc.com/threads/10...kylake-i7-DDR4
    and here
    http://forum.canardpc.com/threads/97...ell-Server-bug

It has been over a year since the bug was reported, but the author of Memtest86+ hasn't provided a fix as yet.

So we'd suggest using MemTest86 V6 or V7 instead. Which we have tested with Skylake CPUs and DDR4.

Comment

David,

Thank you for replying, and for the URLs. You are correct, I was using MemTest86+ to test with. This system has a Skylake CPU installed. I ran eleven consecutive full parallel test runs using V6.3.0 PassMark MemTest86 without an error. Another plus, it correctly reports the Make/Model of the memory installed.

-jeff

Comment

Working...
      X