Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

memtest86 6700k cpu active:1 . Is this normal?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• memtest86 6700k cpu active:1 . Is this normal?

Hello. Fast question. My cpu 6700k and 16gb ram. During test memtest86 i have this:

CPU FOUND: 8 , CPU STARTED:8 but CPU ACTIVE: 1

is this normal? CPU ACTIVE: 1

If you are running in parallel mode, the number of active CPUs should match the number of CPUs started. Otherwise, it should show 1 for other CPU modes (single, sequential, round robin)

Comment

Last question. I have flickering short lines during test .I add red arrows to show. Is this normal?

Here are screen. And video clip with other user .

Comment

The flickering line is from the console's cursor when updating the text on the screen. The cursor should have been disabled but it may have been re-enabled in some BIOSes when the screen is switched from graphics to console mode.

We will look into forcing the cursor to be disabled when the memory test is running.

Comment

Yes, the small flashing bars are normal.
          It is an artefact of high speed screen updates in console mode (years ago, back in the DOS days all computer screens had artefacts like this).

It is likely more pronounced on some systems compared to others.

Comment

Interesting. On my previous pc with other rams,and other mobo i didnt get that flashing bars. On my new current pc they are flickering during test. So its depending of bios?

Comment

Asus Sabertooth Z79 Mark 2 , 4790k - no flickering bars during memtest86

Asus Z170-P , 6700K - yes,flickering bars during memtests.

Can somebody explain me this? Is this related to bios?
              ( yes i am using the same version of memtest )

Comment

We haven't researched the issue.
                Might be related to the update speed (and thus indirectly related to the amount of RAM and current test mode).
                Might be related to the video card.
                Or might be related to the BIOS.
                Either way, i don't think it is an important issue.

Comment

Anyway that flickering bars are normal, nothing wrong? Nothing faulty on pc?
                  On my previous pc with other 16gb ram DDR3,and other mobo and 4790K i didnt get that flashing bars. And yes i am using the same memtest86 version.
                  MAYBE it is related to BIOS?
                  Currently have 6700K, 16gb DDR4 , Asus Z170-P

Last edited by sew999; Jul-21-2016, 07:14 AM.

Comment

There is no issue with your PC.

It is an issue of whether the cursor is enabled/disabled on the screen. When the screen is switched from graphics to console mode, some BIOSes may re-enable the cursor. Other BIOSes leave the cursor disabled.

We have made the change in MemTest86 to force the cursor to be disabled even when switching from graphics to console mode.

Comment

So it is related to BIOS propably? Because on my previous machine with 4790K i used the same memtest86 version like on my current machine with Skylake. And on Skylake 6700k have this small little bars flickering, when on 4790k was not.

Comment

Working...
                      X