OSForensics V5 Beta release

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• OSForensics V5 Beta release

UPDATE: FINAL RELEASE IS NOW AVAILABLE AS OF 1/JUNE/2017 - Beta testing is finished.

OSF V5 is now available for beta testing.
    Current Version: V5.0 Beta 5
    Date: 26/May/2017
    Download link: OSFV5 Beta download link.

Download size: 78MB
    OS Support: XP to Win10.
    (We suggest using Win7,8, or 10. As XP is missing some features like Shadow copy & GPU support)
    License keys: V4 keys will not work in the V5 beta. New V5 keys will be required for the final V5 release

What's new

• NEW PList Viewer
    - Added a new Plist viewer
    - Added reverse text searching option. For nodes that contain "data", added quick hex preview popup dialog when field is single-clicked (double clicking will open a new file viewer window).

• NEW $UsnJrnl Viewer
    - Added support for loading $UsnJrnl files saved as a regular file (ie. not as $J alternate data stream)
    - Added support for $MFT file lookup to determine full path
    - Added support for searching for subtext
    - Added right-click menu options for viewing file, exporting records and adding records to case
    - Added progress bar when parsing USN records, loading $MFT file and searching for subtext

• Analyze Shadow Volume
    - Results can now be exported in HTML and CSV format
    - Added button to export results to case
    - Added right-click menu for exporting results

• Case Manager
    - Added support for mounting file paths as a device in the case
    - Adding devices to case now supports adding local folders in addition to network paths. Renamed 'Network Path (UNC)' to 'Folder / Network Path'
    - When adding an image file to case, the 'Select partition' dialog has been updated to reduce confusion.
    - Added option to export $UsnJrnl records to report
    - Fixed index OOB error when exporting deleted files to report
    - Added support for adding BitLocker-encrypted drives to case. The drive must have been previously added to the case.
    - Fixed error message when viewing the properties of a Case Device
    - Recent history items for case name, investigator, contact details etc are now saved to the config and will be reloaded when OSForensics is started.

• Compare Signature
    - Check if signature reports as version 3 but is actually 4 (two extra fields were added but internal version number of signature was not changed).

• Deleted Files Search
    - Added right-click menu to re-arrange columns in Details View
    - Added 'Source' and 'File number' columns to details view
    - Directory records found in $I30 slack space are now included in the results
    - Records found in $I30 attribute in deleted MFT directory records are now included in the results
    - Fixed bug with misreported quality when multiple streams exist for the deleted file
    - "Save and Open" right-click options no longer prompt the user for the a location to save the file; it shall be saved automatically to the temp folder and immediately opened. The right-click options have also been renamed accordingly
    - When opening deleted files in the internal viewer, the initial tab that is displayed will correspond to the file extension
    - Fixed bug with saving deleted files to disk when the file fragments are greater than 64KB
    - Added *.msg to the search preset for e-mails

• Drive Imaging
    - Fixed error copying single files to logical image due to directories not being created
    - Fixed file size of single file not included when calculating VHD image size
    - When calculating VHD image size, the file size on disk is now used. This is to account for sparse/compressed files that occupy less disk space than its file size.
    - Fixed bug with drive list in 'Create Image' tab containing devices from previous case after switching cases

• Email Viewer
    - Fixed buffer overflow of 'From' field
    - Fixed heap corruption when opening .eml files with quoted printable encoded text

• File Indexer
    - New Zoom build with fixes for
    - Fixed bug with indexing zero date as "23/04/2009 6:24:48"
    - Indexing "delivery time" for PST emails. Only index "submit time" if former is not available.
    Previously was only indexing submit time, which means Drafts/Deleted items would have no time in index but be inconsistent with EmailViewer, which would display a date/time.
    - Fixed bug with Search Index -> Advanced settings' Date/Time range not being applied.

• File Name Search
    - Added *.msg to the search presets for e-mail

• File System Browser
    - Added checkboxes for performing operations on multiple items without having to continuously hold select/ctrl. Clicking on the 'n item(s) checked' link opens a menu with a list of operations to perform.
    - Fixed text not appearing in icon/list view
    - Improved responsiveness when changing directories
    - Fixed bug with calculating folder size on disk for non-NTFS file systems
    - Fixed deadlock when multiple threads are accessing mounted devices simultaneously
    - When calculating folder sizes, stream sizes are now included
    - Added error messages when performing certain operations on $I30 slack items
    - Deleted artificats recovered from $I30 slack space can now be displayed.

• Hash Sets
    - Fixed a NSRL has set import error that could occur when the manufacturer name was greater than 100 characters

• Internal Viewer / File and Hex Viewer
    - File Viewer tab, changed volume controls to trackbar + mute button
    - Added 'IP address' filter to Hex Viewer string extraction
    - When viewing buffers (eg. deleted files) in the "file viewer" tab, the buffer shall first be saved to a temporary file and then loaded. Previously, a 'Unsupported file format' message is displayed.
    - Removed unnecessary saving of temporary files for file paths containing case devices
    - Extracting strings is now threaded so the window is no longer blocked. String extraction can also be cancelled half way.
    - Removed limit on the number of extracted strings

• Memory Viewer
    - Added right-click menu to re-arrange columns of the process list

• Passwords
    - Find Passwords & Keys: Added right-click menu to re-arrange columns
    - Find Passwords & Keys: Added checkboxes for performing operations on multiple items without having to continuously hold select/ctrl. Clicking on the 'n item(s) checked' link opens a menu with a list of operations to perform.
    - Fixed bug where Wifi profiles weren’t searching the correct location in some cases when “Live acquisition” was picked (could search incorrect drive letter)
    - Fixed bug where Wifi profiles might not search correct location in localised (non-english) version of windows
    - Fixed a crash that could occur when searching Wifi profiles
    - Fixed possible crash when getting system passwords
    - Added more info to display, client thread status, benchmark, password length and prefix.

• Prefetch Viewer
    - Fixed possible crash due to buffer overflow

• Raw Disk Viewer
    - Added a list of preset regular expressions combo box that can be used when performing a raw search
    - Improved performance of search window list view
    - Removed max search results limit in search window
    - Fixed synchronization issues potentially resulting in crash

• Recent Activity
    - Changed how the windows user directories are searched for so all operating system dependant locations (XP, Win7 etc) are searched now instead
    of searching the known location of the first one found. For example if an XP system contained a "Users" folder in the root directory then it was
    previously only searching the (possibly empty) Users folder and then not searching the "Documents and Settings" location.
    - Fixed a "missing column" error for old versions of Firefox cookies
    - Made some changes when trying to repair a "dirty" windows search database (eg from a system image of a currently running system) so that if the esentutl tool crashes OSF will attempt to run it again
    - Added P2P artifacts from BitTorrent and UTorrent resume.dat folder, also checks the User's Download directory for .torrent extensions.

• Report Templates
    - Combined 'Drive Imaging' and 'Forensic Copy' HTML template into a single 'Forensic Imaging' HTML template

• Start Window
    - Renamed “Website Passwords” to “Scan for Passwords/Keys”
    - Renamed “Removable Drive Preparation” to “Drive Preparation”

• System Information
    - Made some changes to the system information command dialogs, added columns to show "Live acquisition" / "Drive acquisition" / "Image acquisition" differences of commands

• Web Browser
    - Fixed bug where saving the complete webpage was not working correctly

• Misc
    - Changed date/time format to 24-hour clock
    - Fixed crash when Exception filter is executed
    - Moved 'Forensic Copy' module to 'Drive Imaging' module as a new tab. Renamed 'Drive Imaging' to 'Forensic Imaging'
    - Fixed 'Forensic Copy' and 'Drive Imaging' logs not appearing in generated report
    - Fixed some flickering issues when resizing
    - Updated File Name Search preset list to include Virtual Machine files
    - Fixed bug with EmailView and EmailViewer displaying 1/01/1601 when a 0 datetime value is given. Now reports "Unknown date".
    - When selecting a directory via a popup dialog, if the entered path in the text box is valid, it will be returned. Otherwise, the directory selected in the tree view is returned.
    - Added template files for exporting $UsnJrnl records to report
    - Fixed bug with the initial directory not being set correctly in the select file dialog
    - When prompted to select a file, the last directory path is now used as the initial directory if not specified
    - Fixed bug in handling alternate data streams with multiple $DATA attributes
    - Added support for accessing bitlocker encrypted drives in raw form
    - Updated HTML Editor to show character count.
    - External Viewers (File, Registry, FS Browser, Email, Thumbcache, ESEDB, USNNRNL and Plist) will retain the size of their last viewer window closed for subsequent openings
    - Performance increase when opening registry files

Changes in Beta 3

Plist Viewer
    - Added Export and Add to Case Right Click Options.

Create / Verify Hash
    - Added secondary hash function to allow calculating 2 different hashes simultaneously

File System Browser
    - When saving a file to disk with the same name, allow the option to rename the file.
    - Fixed tree view selection box not being updated when clicking on a new drive

File indexing and searching
    - New zoom build supporting Win10 CompactOS compression (when used with the default XPRESS compression option). Viewing and indexing these files is now possible.
    - On History tab, when choosing right-click menu's "Display Search Results & Add to Case...", it will now export the list of results to the case along with adding the corresponding files.

File Name Search
    - Fixed performance issue when searching with alternate stream criteria. Basic search criteria (eg. file name, attributes, etc.) should be checked before performing the much slower stream criteria check.

• Internal Viewer / File and Hex Viewer
    - Initial support for viewing archive files in 'File Viewer' tab
    - When viewing archive files, the current directory within the archive is now displayed
    - When opening files within archive files, the file is extracted to a temporary directory and opened in a separate internal viewer
    - When opening archive files, internal viewer will display the 'File Viewer' tab by default
    - Fixed crash when reading files from drives mounted in Standard Mode in earlier versions of Windows (eg. Win 7)

Report Templates
    - Modified the Chain of Custody template to be more functional for PDF/printing

Deleted Files
    - New optimized carving process to allow results to be passed back while carving.

Password Recovery
    - New updated password cracking library. Improved GPU acceleration allows for faster cracking. Double the speed in some cases.
    - Fixed a possible crash

Changes in Beta 4

$UsnJrnl Viewer
    - Path is now determined using the Parent MFT# stored in the USN record, followed by the filename stored in the USN record.
    - Paths that may not be correct are coloured in red. This occurs when the filename or the parent MFT# in the USN record does not match what is stored in the $MFT
    - For files that no longer exist, show warning text in the 'File Path' column
    - Improved loading speed by searching for records from the end of the file
    - Fixed progress window being hidden when activating another window
    - Fixed incorrect icon for the window
    - Fixed buffer overrun issues

File System Browser
    - Files that have reparse points are now displayed in green

Internal Viewer / File and Hex Viewer
    - Added encryption, reparse point, sparse file, system compression attribute checkboxes
    - Added right-click menu option to save data to disk. This allows saving file streams and buffers (eg. deleted files) to a file.
    - Added warning text when attempting to view a non-file buffer that exceeds the maximum size (128MB for 64-bit, 16MB for 32-bit)

Plist Viewer
    - Fixed a crash when parsing invalid plist file with incorrect encoding.
    - Fixed a bug with buttons overlapping when resizing.
    - Added help file links

Recent Activity
    - Fixed Bug with P2P Items not showing details on the File List Tab
    - Added Search queries artifacts for Ares Galaxy

Misc
    - Fixed several potential crash points when closing the OSF application while the progress window is still showing
    - Added encryption, reparse point, sparse file, system compression attribute checkboxes
    - Added right-click menu option to save data to disk. This allows saving file streams and buffers (eg. deleted files) to a file.
    - Added warning text when attempting to view a non-file buffer that exceeds the maximum size (128MB for 64-bit, 16MB for 32-bit)

Changes in Beta 5

Memory Viewer
    - Changed encoding of memory dump VW cfg file from UTF16-BE to UTF-8
    - Added tabs for 'Live Analysis' and 'Static Analysis'. Previous view has been moved to 'Live Analysis' tab.
    'Static Analysis' allows the user to launch 'Volatility Workbench' process with the specified memory dump file.

Recent Activity
    - Added Shareaza P2P Search Artifacts.
    - Added Emule P2P Artifacts
    - Added SABnzbd P2P Artifacts.

Start Window
    - Added icon for launching 'Volatility Workbench' under 'Viewers' group

Misc
    - Updated help file with $UsnJrnl Viewer section
    - Fixed a bug that may cause Temp Registry Files in the function call CreateTempRegFileIfNeeded() not be created when debugmode is enabled.
    Last edited by Tim (PassMark); May-26-2017, 04:22 AM.

Tim,

I am testing V5 now -

The PLIST viewer is fantastic. I will continue to run tests and let you know my results.

Comment

PLIST viewer should get even more fantastic before the final release
      We just added some options to export the PLIST data and add the data to a Case. This will appear in the next beta release.

Comment

Hi
        i try V5 too but have a small Problem
        i put the Installation in a Elon of my Investigator VM´s the installed V4 was overwritten and after start Beta5 i have a trial Version.
        Is there a way to get a Key for the Beta test ?

best
        Andre

Comment

Everyone who recently purchased OSF in the last 6 months (or has paid support) will get a free upgrade key. But the keys only get issued on the final release date.

In the meantime if you need a temporary key, E-Mail us.

Comment

Originally posted by David (PassMark) View Post
            Everyone who recently purchased OSF in the last 6 months (or has paid support) will get a free upgrade key. But the keys only get issued on the final release date.

In the meantime if you need a temporary key, E-Mail us.
            Hi David
            thanks for the Key that works better now
            Today i test Index a Windows 10 Creators Update where many Files default compacted and see that
            all compacted Files could not indexed
            At sometime next Days i try out what will be if i take on compacting the main Memory and try than make a Memory Dump

I tell you fast as possible what i will get or not get

best

Andre

Comment

We are working on a solution to the Windows 10 Creators Update compressed file issue. A partial or full solution will in the next V5 beta release. The new Windows behaviour didn't get much publicity. So we weren't even aware there was a problem until about two weeks ago.

Comment

Hi David
                new Beta works good, is it possible to enhance the next Beta for making compacted Files visible in File Viewer
                maybe with a other Color ?
                That would be helpfull to know what Files are compacted, some Files on OS are every Time compacted if your Comuter
                have enough Power the compression was higher if not compression was less.
                But User , Maleware or Access from Outside can also compact Files outside tha System Folder, having a Feature where we can see what Files are compacted
                will be a great Help.

If it was not too late for such a Feature wish that was my one

best

Andre

Comment

Hi
                  i do some tests with Beta 4 and see that on a Surface 4 Pro with 16 Gb Memory only 6 GB are in use and OSF
                  flushes at index process with 10 gb free Memory.
                  Why OSF not use all Memory that can be used ? see Picture what i mean

I do a second closer Look and see that OSF zoom engine use 1,5 gb Memory and round about 6 % CPU
                  all on a Surface is Memory hole Disk is Memory for that zoom engine is much much too slow on a Modern I7 CPU
                  with 16 GB Memory and indexing a ssd with 256 Gb where only 60 GB are in use zoomengine tooks in my eyes too much time.

one Issue i found the windows 10 Security Center must exclude zoomengine (exclude process not File or Folder) and osf than
                  CPU goes up to 30 % and Index is faster but Memory stay still at 1,5-6 GB but i cant get more than max 35 % CPU and 1,6 Gb Memory
                  in use.

Is there somthing like a Setting where i can tell OSF using hole Resources ?

best

Andre Click image for larger version  Name:	Memory.PNG Views:	1 Size:	227.6 KB ID:	37818
                  Last edited by lauzona; May-22-2017, 10:34 PM.

Comment

Andre,
                    Indexing a disk involves a few different steps. Reading the disk, decoding the file format, extracting the text and adding it to the index. The bottleneck depends on the hardware in use, the number of files and the type of files being indexed. The software also needs to work on a wide range of system, for low end to high end. For many systems the disk speed is the bottleneck (thus turning off anti-virus scanner can speed things up). The indexing engine only uses as much RAM as it needs to (about 2GB in the screen shot above). The goal of good software should be to keep RAM use to a minimum while running as as quickly as possible. Using all available RAM, for no purpose, is not a good goal.

Further optimisation is possible, but having a highly threaded decoder for every possible file type is long hard work. Especially when it is often the disk creating a bottle neck and not the CPU. So often it is a lot of work for mot much gain (but it depends on the hardware in use as well. e.g. how many cores do you have and how fast is the disk).

Comment

Hi David
                      thanks for fast Answer, i try out if a Device like a Surface Pro (V4) with max Memory and CPU is usable
                      for Live Investigation
                      I found out now two Parts in Windows 10 Creators Version that make OSF fast as possible:

1 Don´t disable Security Center in Live Mode it is dangorous go to Security center and exclude two Process
                      the first is zoomengine second one osf64 than it will be faster.

2 Creators Update of Win 10 have a Mode called Play Mode in that Mode the Operating system give an App that
                      is a Game more Power , more CPU more Memory.

Start OSF than use windows sign and g to start Game Mode and make the Option on that this App is a Game

Now with that enhancement a Surface Pro would become a very usable Filed Investigators tool
                      But hold in mind every time you start osf start also game mode with windows+g otherwise nothing goes faster.

With that Modifikation OSF and Indexing goes up to 50 % CPU usage and use much more Memory

best

Andre

Comment

We haven't experimented with Games Mode and OSF. But all that I read on the internet indicated that it didn't make much of a difference UNLESS you have a lot of background tasks running at the same time.
                        Quote from PCWorld, "If you don’t have any programs running in the background competing for precious CPU threads, Game Mode offers practically no value".

Comment

The final version of OSForensics V5 was released today and is available for download.

If you purchased the V4 software in the last 6 months (that is on or after the 1/Dec/2016) then you can pickup a free upgrade to V5
                          For older purchases a discounted upgrade is available.

Comment

Working...
                          X