Windows PE Bootable USB Drive

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Windows PE Bootable USB Drive

Please consider selling a bootable Windows PE USB drive with OSForensics pre-installed. I do not know if this is possible given the need to input one's license upfront, but I have tried several different times to create a bootable USB drive with no success. I am sure the failure is due to my lack of knowledge.

Perhaps you could sell pre-configured drives to current license holders?

Also, you could potentially sell pre-configured USB drives through www.osdisc.com. Osdisc.com sells a variety of linux forensic distribution live USB drives and their customer service has been excellent for several years.

Perhaps a Youtube video on how to create a bootable drive? Your other Youtube videos are very well done, by the way.

Long story short. We use to sell a premade bootable version of OSForensics with Windows PE. However, due to some licensing policy change by Microsoft back in 2012, we are no longer able to sell it.

We'll look into possible creating a tutorial video in the future. In the meantime, there is a guide on our support page on creating your own bootable version of OSForensics, http://www.osforensics.com/faqs-and-...ot-option.html

Comment

Originally posted by Richard (PassMark) View Post
      Long story short. We use to sell a premade bootable version of OSForensics with Windows PE. However, due to some licensing policy change by Microsoft back in 2012, we are no longer able to sell it.

We'll look into possible creating a tutorial video in the future. In the meantime, there is a guide on our support page on creating your own bootable version of OSForensics, http://www.osforensics.com/faqs-and-...ot-option.html
      Richard, will this procedure also work to make a WinPE bootable version to run Perf Test and Burn In test?

Comment

There is a document for using BurnInTest with WinPE.

PerformanceTest doesn't like WinPE so much as it depends a lot more on DirectX and a full set of video card drivers. And WinPE is often missing all this.

Comment

I just had an issue today trying to image a Lenovo IdeaPad U430 laptop. I was using v7.1.1012 a USB WinPE (Win10Pro x64 v2004) boot drive (SANS mode 4) and successfully booted the laptop from the drive USB drive. However, I was unable to image Lenovo's internal HDD because the screen resolution was too low... I believe it was 800x600. I was unable to gain access to the image button because the application would not scroll down or reveal the image creation button. I tried resizing the application window manually as well as trying to position the window so I could select the image creation button. I also could not find a way to change the resolution.

Do have a suggestion or solution? It would be nice if the program had scroll bars built into the application window for low resolutions, but this may a functionality missing in the WinPE environment.

Regards,
          Brad

Comment

WinPE is pretty bad like this. I looked up the hardware specs for the machine. It is a 1,366 × 768 resolution screen. So it should have defaulted to a slightly higher resolution. But not all video card device drivers can be included into a WinPE build and this limits the video capabilities.

You could manually mount the WinPE image with DISM, edit, and then recommit the image to get a new resolution. But it is a pretty painful process.

We will check the key windows and make sure the main buttons are available, somehow, at low resolutions.

Comment

More info: We tested this window at 800x600 resolution and it was OK. See below.

Also if you boot with the UEFI option, then UEFI should be smart enough to figure out the native resolution and use that.

Click image for larger version

Name:	ImagingWindows800x600-2.png
Views:	362
Size:	35.2 KB
ID:	48634

Maybe you can post a photo of what you are seeing, Maybe it is a DPI issue and not just resolution.

Comment

Thanks for the information... I believe the resolution was lower (640x480) because everything below the speed bar was cut off and the rights side too. I tried tabbing to the create button and hitting enter but it would no activate the create image button... I will update with a photo.

Comment

Okay.... feeling like I am in the twilight zone... I was unable to replicate. Weird. trying to replicate it I used and older Win10PE (1903) with OSF.v7.1.1003. It booted perfectly and noticed the older version. I thought there something going on with Win10PE (2004). So to be sure I updated the USB drive to Win10PE (2004) and OSF.v7.1.1012 and it booted perfectly.... sorry about the false alarm.

Regards,
                  Brad

Comment

Working...
                  X