Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Exclusion negative searches: exclude multiple terms and how to use word list?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Exclusion negative searches: exclude multiple terms and how to use word list?

Thank you in advance for your help.

Exclusion/negative searches - how do I exclude multiple terms and how to use word list file to do so?

This is in the manual:
    Exclusion/negative searches
    You can precede a search term with a hyphen character to exclude that search term from being
    included in your search results. For example, a search for "cat -dog" would return all pages containing
    the word "cat" but not the word "dog".

I need to exclude many terms. Is this the format?

cat -dog -rabbit -bird -lion

or

"cat -dog -rabbit -bird -lion"

What is the format in a word list?

Can I use a word list for this?

Are there limitations to exclusions, negative searches?

Is there a better way to remove files (or cull or redact) from a case that contain restricted / excluded / privileged terms?

Thank you.

Yes, you can precede a search term with a hyphen character to exclude that search term from being included in your search results. You don't need quotes. So just,
    cat -dog -rabbit -bird -lion

A Word List File allows the user to specify a file containing a list of terms to search for in the currently selected index. This effectively performs a bulk search on the list of terms automatically. Results from the bulk search will appear in the History View from where they can be opened and viewed.

The word list file is a text file. By default the text files are stored in this folder.
    C:\ProgramData\Passmark\OSForensics\SearchLists

The word list file should place each search on a new line. Lines starting with # are comment lines and will not be searched. A double # at the beginning of a line can be used if you actually need the search term to start with a #. Example search word lists have been provided and will appear in the default directory when selecting a file. For easy access it is recommended you put your own search word list files in this same directory.

Here is an example from one of the provided files.

#Example list of banned sports drugs
    #Source: World-Anti-Doping-Program 2011
    #
    #ANABOLIC AGENTS - Exogenous
    androstenediol
    androstenedione
    bolandiol
    bolasterone
    boldenone
    boldione
    calusterone
    clostebol
    danazol

Is there a better way to remove files
    Maybe. If you know in advance which folders / files should not be indexed, they can be excluded. If it was a critically important issue for you and you have a budget to work with there are is another option, where we can hard code / customise an exclusion word list to pass into the indexer.

Comment

This is also exactly what I need to do. Thanks for the assist.

Comment

Working...
      X