Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• OSForensic Error - "File not found"

Hi all,
    while I was inspecting an HDD Windows OS, I'd like to look up the system32 directory against the "XP Pro (32-bit) hash set" downloaded from the website, just to be sure I'm in front of a well-know OS.
    So I select the directory, left click and then choose the "Look up in hash set".
    What I get is a popup reporting an error
    \WINDOWS\system32\xxxx.dll is not accessible
    File not found
    enabling the DEBUGMODE the log says

Code:
    Filename "xxxx.dll" found at MFT record 636 in INDEX_ROOT attribute.
    Search btree direct: Could not find child node (dwRet=2)
    Search btree direct exit
    What goes wrong?

Was the file really called xxxx.dll? Or are you blanking out the real file name for some reason?

If you browse to this file in the file system browser and right click on the file and select properties, do you get the same error?

There is some chance it might be file system corruption.

Comment

Originally posted by David (PassMark) View Post
      Was the file really called xxxx.dll? Or are you blanking out the real file name for some reason?
      yep, it supposed to be some sort of obfuscation

Originally posted by David (PassMark) View Post
      If you browse to this file in the file system browser and right click on the file and select properties, do you get the same error?
      No error I get all the information.

Furthermore asking to look up in hash set, the same as before, I get a "No match found" but no error.

Comment

Originally posted by vlad.tsepesh View Post
        yep, it supposed to be some sort of obfuscation

No error I get all the information.

Furthermore asking to look up in hash set, the same as before, I get a "No match found" but no error.
        So just to clarify, when you try to look up the single file you get no error but when you look up the folder containing the file you get the error popup?

Deliberate obfuscation in your question probably isn't going to help find the problem.

Comment

Originally posted by keith View Post
          So just to clarify, when you try to look up the single file you get no error but when you look up the folder containing the file you get the error popup?
          Yes you get the point.

Originally posted by keith View Post
          Deliberate obfuscation in your question probably isn't going to help find the problem.
          the file name is "kbdsp.dll" but I don't think the name has any practical use.

Comment

We've compiled a debug build that will output some additional debug statements. Can you run the following build in DEBUGMODE:

http://www.passmark.com/ftp/osf_V2.0.1003b.exe

You can send the log file to help[at]passmark[dot]com or paste the relevant parts here. Thanks.

Comment

Working...
            X