Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mounting .img on OSX

Hi guys,

Your support has been great while I learn how to work with this stuff and I just want to say I truly appreciate it.

I recently made an img of a drive that was going bad using ddrescue on my linux machine, but the format of the drive was done on a mac. I can see the files if I mount it using HFS+ explorer but I'll need to transfer it back to a new, formatted for mac type of external drive.

Is there something I can use from a mac to mount the image file and do the transfer all on a mac machine, or would it be possible to mount it on a linux machine and plug in the external drive (mac format) to the linux machine and transfer the files that way?

I assume you want to restore the entire drive, not just a few files from it. If you want to restore the whole drive, then you don't need to mount it. Just use dd on Linux to clone the image back to a new hard drive.

The current format of the drive should not be important, as you will be overwriting everything on the drive.

Our OSForensics software will also restore a dd image (under Windows).

Comment

Originally posted by David (PassMark) View Post
      I assume you want to restore the entire drive, not just a few files from it. If you want to restore the whole drive, then you don't need to mount it. Just use dd on Linux to clone the image back to a new hard drive.

The current format of the drive should not be important, as you will be overwriting everything on the drive.

Our OSForensics software will also restore a dd image (under Windows).
      Thanks David,

Dont know why I never thought to do that. I just thought it migh be quicker to pull the files out of the image rather than restore the whole 2TB image to another drive.

Thanks

Comment

If you just wanted a few files, then I would use OSForensics to browse the image (in Windows) and save the couple of files you need to a USB drive.

OSForensics will open HFS+ format drives / disk images on Windows.

Comment

If you just wanted a few files, then I would use OSForensics to browse the image (in Windows) and save the couple of files you need to a USB drive.

OSForensics will open HFS+ format drives / disk images on Windows.
          Hi David, thanks for all your help and hope im not bothering you.

I restored the image using dd rescue but when I try to mount the external drive on a mac, it shows in disk utility but says its not mounted. ddrescue's initial image had some error but was able to resolve them during the 'splitting blocks' phase and it came out to 0 errors.

Any idea why it wont mount an dlet me browse the files?

Comment

I am not really a Mac expert, nor a ddrescue expert for that matter.
            But I would be tempted to compare the first few sectors of the source and destination drives to see if they are in fact the same.

Macs are well know to hide the technical details. So I would then maybe try some other tools to see if you can browse the destination drive (e.g. OSForensics on Windows). Even if you can't browse, one of them might throw up a sensible error message (e.g. missing boot sector) that will give a hint as to what is wrong.

Comment

I am not really a Mac expert, nor a ddrescue expert for that matter.
              But I would be tempted to compare the first few sectors of the source and destination drives to see if they are in fact the same.

Macs are well know to hide the technical details. So I would then maybe try some other tools to see if you can browse the destination drive (e.g. OSForensics on Windows). Even if you can't browse, one of them might throw up a sensible error message (e.g. missing boot sector) that will give a hint as to what is wrong.
              Thanks David, comparing sectors may be beyond my skill set but I'm going to try mounting the image on a mac (after some googling) and see if I can transfer it that way. If not (since the image is on an NTFS drive), I may have to use HFS+ explorer to mount the image and then copy files manually to the Mac formatted new drive. Thanks for all your help, I really appreciate it!

Comment

Working...
              X