Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

OSFMount - FAT32 Format for RAM disk mandatory?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• OSFMount - FAT32 Format for RAM disk mandatory?

Hiya people!

I just started looking at OSFMount and it seems like people have been saying good things about it. Tested as the fasted RAM disk which is great. There is a huge problem for me though. I don't know if this will make a difference since I haven't loaded OSFMount yet but does the mandatory FAT32 format make a difference if you use metadata a lot to organize your files?

I would be installing some programs, caches, and other stuff that I cannot think of now, so I was wondering if FAT32 makes a difference since Windows File Explorer doesn't let you transfer metadata to FAT32. So, once you copy it back from FAT32, all the metadata is gone. I'm wondering if that would make a difference. Would I be saving files that even used metadata?

If so, could you tweak your program for NTFS formats?

Thanks a bunch if anyone could answer these questions before I start trying to install this. I have no idea what scripts are and what automounting is!

By the way, Microsoft says that FAT32 may not store the metadata when you are transferring back and forth from NTFS and FAT32. Does anyone know if it does or it doesn't?

Comment

but does the mandatory FAT32 format
      OSFMount doesn't force a mandatory FAT32 format.
      See screen shot below.

So I think that makes the rest of the discussion moot?

RAM Drive creation

As far as lost metadata goes, the main things being lost is NTFS file streams, file encryption some access control information (who can view which files). Most applications don't use these NTFS features anyway.

Comment

Thanks, David,

(This is reimburseplating, the person who started this thread. I had to change my login name because my computer was going a little wacky.)

Thanks for your clarification. There are quite a few posts on internet forums and I read a professional review of OSFMount that state that FAT32 is mandatory. For a long time, I scratched off OSFMount as a possible program to use because of the misinformation until someone informed me that I might be wrong.

So, thanks for the helpful info. I'm going to try to make OSFMount work!

(Btw, I've got tons of more questions but I'll make a new thread for them.)

Originally posted by David (PassMark) View Post

OSFMount doesn't force a mandatory FAT32 format.
        See screen shot below.

So I think that makes the rest of the discussion moot?

RAM Drive creation

As far as lost metadata goes, the main things being lost is NTFS file streams, file encryption some access control information (who can view which files). Most applications don't use these NTFS features anyway.

Comment

Working...
        X