Failure to Recognize BitLocker Volume

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Failure to Recognize BitLocker Volume

This is the second time I have been unable to use your software with BitLocker encryption. The previous incident was reported and the subsequent patch resolved the issue not recognizing a BitLocker volume needing decryption. The latest issue and details are as follows, Subject formatted a Windows 10 BitLocker SSD drive. Upon previewing the drive it was clearly evident the encrypted data was still there. I imaged the SSD and added the image to OSF (v7.1.1012). I then added the volume containing the deleted/formatted BitLocker volume to decrypt it with the BE-Key we recovered. OSF reported the drive was not encrypted. Unfortunately, OSF didn't recognize the deleted/formatted BitLocker volume. I subsequently created a DD-image of the deleted BitLocker volume and again attempted to decrypt it with OSF and again it reported the volume was not encrypted. I subsequently mounted the DD-image with Arsenal Image Mounter which immediately requested the BE-Key. Arsenal Image Mounter subsequently successfully decrypted and mounted the deleted encrypted volume. I then imaged decrypted volume using X-Ways. The new decrypted logical image was successfully used by both OSF and X-Ways to recover the deleted documents of interest.

I am a paid registered user of OSF and if you need more details feel free to contact me.

It would be nice if your software would recognize a deleted or formatted Bitlocker volume and decrypt it.

Regards,
    Brad
    Retired Police Officer (LVMPD)
    DFE for Expert Data Forensics

We are downloading the dd image file you made available (thanks for that) and we will take a look at it.

Comment

Nice work! You have solved the issue in the beta you provided me to test. Thank you for the great support and forensic tool.

Regards,
      Brad
      Attached Files

Comment

For the record:

The problem was related to the rarely used Bitlocker option to encrypt only used disk space. (i.e. not the typically full drive encryption option used with Bitlocker). The fix will be included with the initial public V8 release, which should be out within the next week.

Comment

Working...
        X