Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• File carving

Hello,

i am actually testing OSF with the good old Hacking-Case (which look good) and the "Emma Crook" Case (https://www.isfce.com/sample-pe.htm). I use the Demo of OSF 9.x and i find no way to carve files.

Is there really no option to do a RAW-recovery of files?

There are multiple ways. Best option depends on what data you already have.

Example below is file carving from the raw disk using a byte / sector offset.

File Carving raw disk OSForensics

But there are also options to automatically recovered deleted files from the "Deleted File Search" module.

File Carving Deleted Files OSForensics

Comment

There is also the PDF format OSForensics Users Guide here

Comment

Thanks I was aware of method 1 and manual carving would be not a big deal for that demo-case with 4 files in a 1,44MB floppy image to analyze but it's unpractically in a case where I have a multipe TB drive which was formated...

I was in the Deleted File Search but have overlooked the carving tickbox in the options - my bad . I where sure it was somewhere but could not remember where it was hidden. The last time I used OSF was with version 3

Carving is quite important in my opinion - maybe it would be better to place the "enable carving" - tickbox on the main-dialog that this option is easiert to spot. Just my 50 cent!

Thanks for the fast replay. Have a nice day...

Comment

Working...
        X