I have a question on Hidden Areas - HPA / DCO

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I have a question on Hidden Areas - HPA / DCO

Hi guys! Sorry for my bad english! Thank you that you are, and that you have created a very best program!
    I have a question for you about "Hidden Areas - HPA/DCO"
    Your program tells me that
    ============================
    Max User LBA successfully retrieved
    Could not retrieve Max Native LBA - GET NATIVE MAX Command issue failed
    Could not retrieve Max Disk LBA - DCO Locked
    ============================
    What this means ?!
    As I understand it from my HDD has a hidden area ?!
    And hid it from me, the HDD manufacturer OR VIRUS ?!
    It's a box with a false bottom ?!

PS This means that as you can increase the amount of hard drive ?!
    What a surprise! Extra space certainly does not hurt anyone, although I'm more worried that there would not start some sort of a virus infection, Hackers are not asleep, you know what I mean ...
    PPS Thanks in advance for your reply and clarification!
    Attached Files

Very few standard drives actually have any significant hidden space. Doesn't make sense to hide half the capacity from the user in most cases.

I haven't seen the GET NATIVE MAX command fail before. So I don't know the cause.

What model hard drive do you have?
    How is that drive connected to the motherboard (USB, SATA, IDE, etc..)?

Comment

Hello David! Thank you for such quick answering!
      Originally posted by David (PassMark) View Post
      Very few standard drives actually have any significant hidden space. Doesn't make sense to hide half the capacity from the user in most cases.
      As far as I know, HDD a certain range which was issued in these years (year of production) have the same stuffing (the same number of plates, heads, and others) then special equipment have checked the volume of plates, and if the HDD at least some did not reach the maximum number of models it just software cut and sold as a hard disk with less! For example, figuratively speaking, if the hard drive has not held up to 1 megabyte volume Samsung HD401LJ of software made it HD321KJ etc. Well, you know what I mean!

I haven't seen the GET NATIVE MAX command fail before. So I don't know the cause.
      I suspect this is the machinations of virus! After I saw it, I booted from the CD Parted Magic v2015.01.13, I made twice HDD Secure Erase by "Secure" method and "Enhanced" method. You can read about it here https://partedmagic.com/secure-erase/ I thought delete all information with a virus, but it was not there! And as you can see it does not work, everything remains as before

What model hard drive do you have?
      How is that drive connected to the motherboard (USB, SATA, IDE, etc..)?
      This is old model Samsung hd321kj it is connected to Sata cable, on the other it does not connect

PS Instead, tell me how you can run your program from the DVD drive ?! I just now no usb flash drive handy!
      Last edited by Nick_Mukola; Apr-22-2015, 10:09 AM.

Comment

Try using the "Detect HPA/DCO" button several times.

After some more experimentation here today, I did notice it fail a couple of times, but then work correctly on the 2nd or 3rd attempt.

Comment

Try using the "Detect HPA/DCO" button several times.

After some more experimentation here today, I did notice it fail a couple of times, but then work correctly on the 2nd or 3rd attempt.
          Nothing happens at least 100 times click here! Your program is running as an administrator, pressed a few times and nothing changes! I think it is any not a bug in your program!
          Better tell me how to create a Boot CD with your program? Downloading will take from this disk and running your program, and then we'll see that there will!

PS Perhaps something (a virus) does not allow your program to see anything in this field, I assume that it is possible with the boot disk, it would be able to climb up there

Or even create such an option (create a boot disk with your progrmmaoy) in the new version of your program! Then your software will be even better!

PPS As the saying goes "burning with interest" what could be got an infection in this area HDD!
          Last edited by Nick_Mukola; Apr-23-2015, 01:29 PM.

Comment

Working...
          X