X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Chromeos emmc disk cloning question

I followed this tutorial here:

OSForensics - Tutorial - How to acquire an image of a Chromebook hard disk

I tried the dd command line there in ubuntu live usb drive to clone the emmc on my chromebook.

My question is: how do I deploy the image to another a nvme drive?

Basically I bought an adapter that you put into the wifi port of the chromebook and put a nvme ssd drive into that. It's recognized in chrome os.

There are various things I tried to clone or use the image to put onto the nvme drive, problem is when I try to update chrome os it won't update to latest version.

Has anybody tried this? I want to make the nvme drive the main drive, not the emmc.

Thanks for any good replies.

A nvme SSD drive connected to a Wifi port?
    We aren't even sure what a Wifi port is. So this isn't something we have tried.
    Maybe you mean you disassembled the machine to remove the Wifi card from an internal PCIe slot and are using that slot for a SSD?

We don't know the Chrome boot behaviour. Might be different behaviour for each hardware vendor and might be hard coded to look for a specific boot drive.

Comment

Originally posted by David (PassMark) View Post
      A nvme SSD drive connected to a Wifi port?
      We aren't even sure what a Wifi port is. So this isn't something we have tried.
      Maybe you mean you disassembled the machine to remove the Wifi card from an internal PCIe slot and are using that slot for a SSD?

We don't know the Chrome boot behaviour. Might be different behaviour for each hardware vendor and might be hard coded to look for a specific boot drive.
      Yes and here is the adapter for that

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0BVLJ68WW

I have a Lenovo Ideapad 3 chromebook.

Put in a 2230 nvme ssd 512 gb which shows up as PCIE 3.0 512GB in chrome os and ubuntu.

I tried this in a hp chromebox g3 but with a different adapter. No issues except I forgot what steps I took to get it to work as the main drive, etc.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07DZF1W55

I can get the 2230 nvme to be recognized by the chromebook as the main drive if I try this dd cmd line on the emmc:

sudo dd if=/dev/zero of=/dev/mmcblk0 bs=1M count=1

I cannot get chrome os to update though. Any ideas?

Comment

Working...
      X