• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• OSFMount virtual drive contents remain after PC power off

I create a virtual drive at boot (task scheduler) with this command:
    Code:
    OSFMount.com -a -t vm -s 1G -o format:ntfs:"ramdrive" -m "R:"
    Sometimes (but not always), after a full power off of the system (not just reboot), when I turn the system on again the previous contents of the virtual drive are still there.

How and why does it happen? are the drive contents saved anywhere?

Thanks in advance.

I think it is impossible.
    Maybe the machine was just going to sleep / hibernation and not doing a full power cycle?

Comment

I'm pretty sure I did power off and not hibernation. In addition, the machine was physically disconnected from power for 24+ hours.

Comment

Windows hibernation (and Hybrid sleep) writes the memory contents to disk, in a file called, Hiberfil.sys, which is normally hidden.
        It's purpose in life is to store the memory contents across power off situations.

Comment

When resuming after hibernation, the open apps stay open, and startup apps that I previously closed don't start up again. It is hard to confuse shutdown (where my apps close) with hibernation.

I am positive that I did shut down my system, and disconnected it from power, and the files stayed in the ram drive. How it happened, I'm not sure, but I know it's not hibernation.

Comment

Well it is an easy test.
            Create the RAM drive. Turn off the power at the wall. Wait 10sec. Boot the system.

Comment

If you mean I should pull the plug while the system is running, that's a terrible test. Even the contents of my normal drives are not guaranteed to survive that.

If you simply meant I should shut down normally and then pull the plug, that's exactly what I did. multiple times. I could do it again if you want. Then again, if you don't believe the results because they're 'impossible' and you didn't see it yourself, me testing again would not change a thing.

Comment

As it turns out, it was Windows Fast Startup that caused it. Apparently that 'feature' behaves kind of like hibernate, though not exactly.

Comment

Yes, Fast startup writes a hibernation file.
                  I think the difference with a normal hibernation is that most Apps are closed before writing the hibernation file for normal hibernation.
                  Fast startup just hibernates the operating system kernel memory.
                  But OSFMount need to runs a kernel device driver to emulates a hard drive. So it gets hibernated along with the rest of Windows, when saving details for "Fast startup".

Comment

Working...
                  X