X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The OSFMount Driver is disabled

Windows 7 x64 sp1
    OSFMount 1.5 v1015 x64

I have a small batch file that calls osfmount.com to mount a RAM drive. I have tried various methods to get this script to run at boot time or Windows logon, but this approach often fails silently.

If I log into Windows on a fresh boot and call my batch file from an admin command line, I observe the following result

Code:
    C:\Windows\system32>C:\PROGRA~1\OSFMount\OSFMount.com -a -t vm -o rw -m Z: -s 8G

The OSFMount Driver is disabled.
    If I wait a minute or two and run the same batch file, it succeeds, creates, and formats the RAM drive as expected.

I suspect, although I haven't investigated it thoroughly enough to assert it, that computers with SSD that are particularly quick to boot to desktop are less successful at running this script to completion than slower-booting machines.

I have searched in hopes to find a specific service or other dependency that OSFMount needs before running, but came up with nothing. Can somebody point me in the right direction?

OSFMount loads the OSFMount.sys driver (in the same directory as the executable) on demand when the application starts. So it is possible that when you run it too early after Windows has booted, the Windows service control manager has not had the chance to enable the driver before OSFMount attempts to the start the driver service.

As a workaround, you can try delaying the execution of the batch file until all other services are loaded. Another alternative is to add a retry loop to the batch file until it succeeds.

Comment

Originally posted by keith View Post
      OSFMount loads the OSFMount.sys driver (in the same directory as the executable) on demand when the application starts. So it is possible that when you run it too early after Windows has booted, the Windows service control manager has not had the chance to enable the driver before OSFMount attempts to the start the driver service.

As a workaround, you can try delaying the execution of the batch file until all other services are loaded. Another alternative is to add a retry loop to the batch file until it succeeds.
      I will try that. Thanks for the info.

Comment

Working...
      X