X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• [OSFMount] Persistent RAM drive for Windows 10/11

Guys, hello.

Trying to have such setup:
    1) Have virtual RAM disk of 4GB to be available.
    2) This drive content should be persisted on SSD/HDD on system shutdown.
    3) The drive content should be loaded from SSD/HDD on system startup.

How do I do this?
    Currently all created disks just not appearing after restart.

Thanks a lot.

There are a number of command line options (refer to the help documentation included with OSFMount) however, so you could write a batch file to run at startup, to mount a RAM drive on boot. You'll also need to have another for when the system shutdowns/reboot to save the contents of the RAM drive if changes were made.

Comment

I see that if size of RamDisk is 4GB then every save to disk will cost to SSD 4GB read even single bit was changed.
      Ideally I wanted to have writes against RAM, when at shutdown I have incremental write to SSD (only changes are saved).

Besides that I don't see in help how via command line I do write to a file.
      Too complicated setup.

My problem (as many others) that Chrome is doing too many writes to SSD (sometimes 40GB/day).
      So I thought somehow to direct these writes to ram instead of SSD.

Thanks any way.

Comment

I see that if size of RamDisk is 4GB then every save to disk will cost to SSD 4GB read even single bit was changed.
        If you think Chrome is writing 40GB/day, then 4GB might not be enough space, and I don't think you need to be concerned about only a single bit being changed.

I haven't seen any reports of Chrome writing this much data consistently. But of course it depends on the number of tabs you have open and what apps you are running in your browser. Storing everything in RAM has a downside. You risk loosing a lot of stuff in the case of a crash.

Even at a consistent 40GB/day of writes (which I find a little hard to believe) that is still 42 years before the warranty of a typical SSD expires.
        If you were just doing 4GB/day (from saving the RAM disk) then that should give you 420 years before the warranty expires.

There is no option for saving incremental changes to a pure RAM disk. (there is for a disk image however, where you want to preserve the base image).

complicated setup.
        Yes. OSFMount wasn't really designed as a browser cache disk.

Another option might be to get a small (but super fast) Optane Xpoint SSD with no write limit. 16GB of storage for $15.

Comment

David, thank you for reply.
          Maybe I am too paranoid.

Any way the OSFMount is super cool.
          Good to know it exists.

Comment

Working...
          X