Modemtest crashes and disappears in Windows 2003

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Modemtest crashes and disappears in Windows 2003

when i set the modem to run "Local Diagnostics" and run the test. At the end of the test the program just goes away. I have to click on the icon to start it again. I am running windows 2003 server.

It seems to be 2003 server that it fails on
    Last edited by James Hoopes; Aug-22-2007, 10:47 PM. Reason: update

ModemTest and DEP settings

It is probably a DEP (data execution protection) setting issue.

It seems that when DEP is turned on for all programs in Vista and Window 2003 with SP2 it is causing some of our software to crash on start-up due to the key enforcement measures we use. This shouldn't be a problem for 32 bit installs unless DEP is turned on specifically but 64 bit installs have it on automatically.

To fix this problem you will need to turn off DEP protection, you can either;
    • Add the affected program executable to the list of programs that DEP will not be used for (see the linked help page for how to do this)
    • Change the DEP option to "Turn on DEP for essential Windows programs and services only"
    There is information on DEP and how to change the DEP settings on this Microsoft help page, http://windowshelp.microsoft.com/Win...361611033.mspx.

This problem can effect Vista, Windows 2003 and XP if DEP is enabled.

In particular Windows 2003 SP2 (released early March 07) now turns on DEP without asking you. So problems might been seen after an upgrade to SP2 in Windows 2003.

In some cases it seems a reboot is required before the DEP setting takes effect.

Comment

Modemtest crashes and disappears in Windows 2003

Thank you that fixed the problem

Comment

We've released a minor update to ModemTest that should automatically exclude ModemTest from DEP upon install. The new version can be downloaded from the ModemTest product page.
        http://passmark.com/products/modemtst.htm

Comment

Working...
        X