Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Error when sending mails with DiskCheckup

Hello!

Right now I'm trying to configure DiskCheckup to send out mails. The problem is that I get following error:

"There were errors while sending test e-mail." (as popup)
    "Authentication not supportet" (in the configuration window as long as the popup is open)

I tried with several SMTP-servers. As every of these servers requires authentication the option is checked.

Am I doing something wrong?
    Can I provide any more information somehow?

Best regards!
    Ingmar

What version of DiskCheckup are you using?
    The newer releases support SMTP authenication. But not all mail servers require this to be on.

Comment

Another possibility, Many Antivirus programs scan out going mail and handle the SMTP authentication themselves. Some enable encryption by default. If the mail server does not require encryption sending will fail. So check the settings in your AV program if this is the case.

Bill
      Main Box*AMD Ryzen 7 5800X*ASUS ROG STRIX B550-F GAMING*G.SKILL 32GB 2X16 D4 3600 TRZ RGB*Geforce GTX 1070Ti*Samsung 980 Pro 1 TB*Samsung 860 EVO 1 TB*Samsung 860 EVO 2 TB*Asus DRW-24B3LT*LG HL-DT-ST BD-RE WH14NS40*Windows 10 Pro 21H2

Comment

Sorry I forgot to mention. I'm using the latest version (v3 build 1006).
        I had my problems with servers which requires authentication. But now I tried with the mailservice smtp2go and it seems to work (without authentication).

I'm going to do some tests with my own mailserver and disabling my AV.

Comment

I'm also having problems using DiskCheckup email notifications. When configuring gmail as my mail client (Server: smtp.gmail.com, Port: 465, "SMTP server requires authentication" checked), DiskCheckup hangs when sending a test email. I'm using V3.0 Build 1006 on Server 2008 R2.

Comment

We are guessing it is because DiskCheckup supports authentication (ie. a user name / password) but doesn't support encryption. And at some point Gmail stops responding to the non encrypted connection.

If nothing else we can handle the error better, and at least timeout.

Comment

Who is your ISP

I just switched to AT&T U-Verse, and they do not allow outgoing emails this way. Mine stopped working also. I have been too lazy to work out a solution or work-around.

Comment

DiskCheckup v3.0 build 1008 release

A new release of DiskCheckup (v3.0 build 1008 ) is available for download:

http://www.passmark.com/products/diskcheckup.htm

This build improves the error handling for sending DiskCheckup e-mail notifications, as well as a bug fix for the wrong HDD capacity reported in certain cases.

Comment

Originally posted by keith View Post
                  A new release of DiskCheckup (v3.0 build 1008 ) is available for download:

http://www.passmark.com/products/diskcheckup.htm

This build improves the error handling for sending DiskCheckup e-mail notifications, as well as a bug fix for the wrong HDD capacity reported in certain cases.
                  I hate to dig up an old thread, but you mention that build 1008 is available for download, yet the page your refer to is still build 1000. I have downloaded twice to confirm.

Since I'm having the same email issue with multiple servers, I'd like to try the most up-to-date version to ensure I'm not using old code.

Any possibility the download page could be updated?

Comment

Originally posted by Hummdis View Post
                    I hate to dig up an old thread, but you mention that build 1008 is available for download, yet the page your refer to is still build 1000. I have downloaded twice to confirm.

Since I'm having the same email issue with multiple servers, I'd like to try the most up-to-date version to ensure I'm not using old code.

Any possibility the download page could be updated?
                    The thread is talking about version 3.0 build 1008. The latest version is 3.1 build 1000 as the download page states. Had me going for a minute.

Bill
                    Main Box*AMD Ryzen 7 5800X*ASUS ROG STRIX B550-F GAMING*G.SKILL 32GB 2X16 D4 3600 TRZ RGB*Geforce GTX 1070Ti*Samsung 980 Pro 1 TB*Samsung 860 EVO 1 TB*Samsung 860 EVO 2 TB*Asus DRW-24B3LT*LG HL-DT-ST BD-RE WH14NS40*Windows 10 Pro 21H2

Comment

Yes, the numbers are correct, at the moment,
                      V3.1 (Build 1000) from the 24 Jun 2011 is the latest release.

V3.1 was done to include the drive self test. Which seemed like a great idea at the time. However it turns out that drive self tests aren't all that well supported by all disk drives. So it wasn't as great as we imagined.

Here is the revision history.

Revision Date
                      v3.1 (1000 ) 24 Jun 2011
                      -------------------------------------------------------------------
                      1. Added support for executing disk self tests (if implemented by the drive)
                      2. Drive information can now be refreshed by pressing 'F5' or clicking on the refresh button.
                      Clicking on the drive icon will no longer refresh the drive information.
                      3. Minor UI fixes

Revision Date
                      v3.0 (1009 ) 01 Jun 2011
                      1. DiskCheckup now attempts to issue SMART commands regardless if SMART enable failed (SysInfo DLL fix)

Revision Date
                      v3.0 (1008 ) 26 May 2011
                      1. Fixed issue with drives reporting the same capacity (SysInfo DLL fix)
                      2. Improved error handling for sending e-mail notification

Revision Date
                      v3.0 (1007 ) 4 May 2011
                      1. Built with SysInfo DLL v1.0 build 1012
                      2. Fixed program not responding issue with some email servers that stop responding when sending email

Comment

Aw Snap!

Originally posted by wonderwrench View Post
                        The thread is talking about version 3.0 build 1008. The latest version is 3.1 build 1000 as the download page states. Had me going for a minute.

Bill
                        Good catch. I missed it. Twice!

I'm having this problem in version 3.1 build 1000...any suggestions?

Sorry for scaring you for a minute.

Comment

Can you describe the problem.
                          Does the mail server require authentication or encryption?

Comment

There were errors while sending test email

I am also getting errors when trying to send test emails ("There were errors while sending test email"). This is a make or break feature for our company. I would love to have a small and simple monitoring app that notifies me about drive status. Yes our server requires authentication and I have successfully sent email from another application on this server using the same settings and port. (I've triple checked them!)

I am using DiskCheckup V3.1 Build: 1001
                            built with SysInfo V1.0 build 1014
                            on Windows 2003 R2 Server.

Comment

DiskCheckup only supports the most common form of SMTP authentication (AUTH LOGIN). There is no support for the more secure (AUTH CRAM-MD5) authentication or encryption. So if your SMTP server expects either of the two, DiskCheckup would be unable to send notification e-mails.

As a workaround, if your SMTP server maintains the previous session, you can try sending an e-mail from your mail client first (in order to authenticate), and then try sending the test e-mail again without authentication enabled (as the SMTP server has already authenticated).

Comment

Working...
                              X