Disk checkup not working on Windows Vista sp2

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Disk checkup not working on Windows Vista sp2

I tried disk checkup on Vista 32 bit clean install, no updates, no internet connection. When trying to run the setup file it just has a round ring for a fraction of a second and then nothing happens. Tried running as administrator. Any ideas as to what is wrong?

This seems to be related to IE or Windows not liking the digital certificate of the installer and quietly blacklisting it, did you use IE to download the file?

It looks like you will need to install an update (as described here) in order for the digital certificate to be recognised, or possibly you can use another browser (eg Firefox) to download the installer and it shouldn't get blacklisted.

Comment

It has nothing to do as to which browser I use to download the program with, the hash values are the same. As you said I needed to install a update because the program is signed with a SHA-256 certificate and Vista SP2 cannot handle it. The update needed is Vist installerWindows6.0-KB2763674-x86.msu After this update was installed Disk checkup worked without issue.

Comment

It has nothing to do as to which browser I use to download the program with
        Unfortunately it does. When IE downloads executable files from the Internet in a browser they get a special marker. This marker is an alternative NTFS file stream. This is a form of meta data. The meta data stream is called Zone.Identifier. Google it for more details.

the hash values are the same
        This would be because the hashing program you are using is only hashing part of the file (the first stream) and ignoring the extra data IE appended to the file in the 2nd stream.

Glad you solved the problem in any case.

Comment

Working...
        X