New battery - strange behaviour

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New battery - strange behaviour

My old 48Wh 4-cell battery wasn't lasting long enough (1.5hrs), so I purchased a 86.5Wh 9-cell battery a few days ago.

However I noticed the Windows low battery indicator came on quicker with the new battery (after about 1hr)!!!

So I downloaded BatteryMon and looked at the battery characteristics:

This pic shows the battery fully charged, with the AC adapter connected. I don't understand why the full-charge capacity is so much lower than the design capacity and the current capacity.

As soon as I unplug the AC adapter however, the current capacity jumps down to:

And within 1 minute it's chaged to this (notice the 57W discharge rate!):

It continues to drain until it reaches 6% (after about 1hr), but the weird thing is it will stay at 6% for well over another hour!

What's going on? With the old battery the discharge rate is only 21W!

Thanks,

Gareth

Battery packs are semi intelligent. They have some chips in them that talk to the charging circuit in the laptop to report status & characteristics.
    My guess is that the new battery pack isn't 100% compatible with the charging circuit. The result is incorrect status information.

There are some good details of how the battery system works in this document.

Comment

Working...
    X