Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ImageUSB images pass verification... but nothing appears on USB

Hello

I have an ISO which I write to USB via ImageUSB. Verification passes, however when I look at contents of the USB via Windows Explorer, nothing appears on the USB and Explorer asks me if I'd like to format it.

I've used another USB writer app using the same ISO and USB was created just fine, confirming the ISO is good. Where am I going wrong with ImageUSB please, and how can I get this to work please?

Thank you

ImageUSB writes the file bit for bit. It doesn't do a file system conversion (which is what you want).

The contents of your ISO files were likely in the ISO9660 Joliet file system, which Windows (stupidly) doesn't expect on a USB drive.

Comment

Hi David

Thank you for your explanation.

One way around this I found is to create a bin from source USB via ImageUSB which it can successfully writers back to other USBs. Issue with this however is that it creates a bin that is the total size of USB (7.5GB in this instance), even though there is only 3.5GB data on that USB. As a result it takes considerable longer to write back to other USBs. Is there a way to create a bin or iso that is the correct size and that is compatible with ImageUSB please?

Thank you

Comment

Is there a way to create a bin or iso that is the correct size and that is compatible with ImageUSB please?
        Use a smaller USB drive as the source, however, a side effect is if you write the image to larger drives, they will appear to have shrunk in size. For example, if a 2GB image is copied to an 8GB USB Flash Drive, the drive will only be able to use two out of the eight gigabytes of storage space.

Due to the forensic nature of image duplication by ImageUSB, ImageUSB preserves all unused and slack space during the cloning process, including the Master Boot Record (MBR).

Comment

Thanks Richard, that's another way but seems like a compromise as would still like access to the unused space when copying smaller image to larger USB.

What I still don't understand is why my original ISO (which was ISO9660 Joliet file system as David correctly noted) was accepted and successfully copied to USB by another copying app, ISO to USB? If this was a Windows issue as David pointed out, that copy should have failed too, but it worked. Issue is that the ISO to USB app can't copy multiplies so would really like to get ImageUSB working without the compromising. Is there a way to create an ISO in a way that ImageUSB will happily accept it?

Comment

Working...
          X