Image Writing issue and opening the old created image file

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Image Writing issue and opening the old created image file

Hello everyone. I have been using ImageUSB software and I appreciating if i get help about these two questions :

1 : I did create a backup from my old external harddisk, but now after complete writing on new Seagate harddisk, the harddisk is not accessible !

I get this error msg.:
    the volume does not contain a recognized file system. please make sure that all required file system

The harddisk format has been changed to RAW (Disk management) and I did format it and tried again and same thing happened...

Any suggestion ?

2 : After creating a image backup (.Bin) is it possible to open the file and check what is inside it ? I have some old backups which I dont know what exactly it is !

Thanks in advance

The .Bin format from an image created by ImageUSB is basically a 512 byte header attached to a byte by byte copy for the drive it imaged. You can use OSFMount to mount images created by ImageUSB.

Comment

Originally posted by Richard (PassMark) View Post
      The .Bin format from an image created by ImageUSB is basically a 512 byte header attached to a byte by byte copy for the drive it imaged. You can use OSFMount to mount images created by ImageUSB.
      Thank you.
      I did try the OSFMount and its working from time to time. Sometimes i'm not able to mount the image dont know why, but sometimes it works well ...
      do you have any suggestion about my first question ?

Comment

What is the filesystem of the original image? If it is Linux filesystem or a filesystem that Windows does not recognize or able to handle, it and ask you to format.

However, if OSFMount is working some of the times, it sounds like the image is corrupted. Possibly failure on the storage medium where the image is kept? You can verify by running a checksum on the image file and skipping the first 512 bytes. The checksum is stored in the header.

Click image for larger version

Name:	imageusbheader.png
Views:	217
Size:	127.7 KB
ID:	49258

Comment

Originally posted by Richard (PassMark) View Post
          What is the filesystem of the original image? If it is Linux filesystem or a filesystem that Windows does not recognize or able to handle, it and ask you to format.

However, if OSFMount is working some of the times, it sounds like the image is corrupted. Possibly failure on the storage medium where the image is kept? You can verify by running a checksum on the image file and skipping the first 512 bytes. The checksum is stored in the header.

Click image for larger version  Name:	imageusbheader.png Views:	7 Size:	127.7 KB ID:	49258
          I'm using Win7 and I had a old IDE harddisk and the disk got Power issue (after 16 years ) so i had to use IDE ADAPTER to connect it to pc and make it run again. I did take a backup and created a image file from the disk.
          Then i bought a Seagate 4TB harddisk and after writing the image on the new harddisk i got that format issue. Thanks to your help later i had a chance to open the image file and did the old time copy past method. The opening issue got solved after i did copy the Bin. file into the new disk and did mount it directly from there.

I have been using IMAGEUSB before on usb's with less Capacity and it did work fine.

So i'm just wondering how can i avoid that issue again.

Comment

ImageUSB was really designed for bulk duplicating USB Flash drives. Not for hard drive backups or migration of data to new hard drives.

Comment

how to reduce the size of the image so that the quality does not deteriorate?

Comment

so that the quality does not deteriorate
                Sorry we don't understand.
                Large disk images don't fade away in sunlight.

Comment

Working...
                X