Error Building WinPE Image (255): Unknown Failure

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Error Building WinPE Image (255): Unknown Failure

I've been following these instructions exactly as written but I'm getting the following error when attempting to create an ISO with the WinPE Builder.
    Click image for larger version  Name:	failed2.png Views:	128 Size:	78.4 KB ID:	52759

I'm running Windows 10 Pro 19043.1706. ​I used BurnInTest v9.2 Pro with a valid license. I installed the required Windows ADK, and Windows PE Addon. Tried with both the 1903 and the 2004 version. I reviewed some of the other posts on this forum but none seem to offer a valid solution. I changed the startup script to include the -c flag, with the resulting line being: ""x:\Program Files\burnintest\bit.exe" -h -x -c LastUsed.bitcfg". I've also tried removing the flag and generating the ISO with the standard script so I doubt this is the issue. I set "C:\BIT BOOT" as the temp working dir. Chose to Save as ISO.

Any hints/help you can provide is greatly appreciated!

It looks like it is successful in building the WinPE image but failing to write it to the ISO. Not sure the reason, we'll have to look into it.

As a workaround, run WinPEBuilder until you receive Error Building WinPE Image (255): Unknown Failure dialog. IMPORTANT: DO NOT click OK (once you do, WinPEBuilder will clean up the files and you won't be able to manually make the ISO image using the steps below).

Click image for larger version

Name:	winpebuilder.255.png
Views:	172
Size:	5.2 KB
ID:	52763

From the start menu go to Window Kits. Right-Click Deployment and Imaging Tools and select Run as administrator.

Click image for larger version

Name:	dandi.png
Views:	185
Size:	19.9 KB
ID:	52764

Enter the command below and it should create the ISO in your temp directory:

Code:
    makewinpemedia /iso /f "C:\BIT BOOT\WPB0000" "C:\BIT BOOT\temp.iso"
    Once you created the ISO image, you can click OK in WinPEBuilder and it will clean up the temporarily files.

Comment

I was able to generate the iso with your instructions. Hopefully this helps anyone else struggling with the same issue. Thank you so much for your quick response!

Comment

Working...
      X