• ImageUSB - Preserve readonly?

Hi

ImageUSB
    create .bin file
    write to target(s) - perfect.

If I use Win7 Diskpart
    select volume 'n'
    attributes disk set readonly

then the USB stick is correctly readonly.
    Now create a new image from this readonly stick, but after a successful write image, the target(s) do not have the readonly properties.

Is there an option I have missed? If not, might this be possible in a future release?

Many thankis
    Pete

Setting the disk readonly attribute (volume readonly attribute may be different) via Diskpart does not seem to alter the disk contents (e.g. MBR/Partition Entry) but perhaps modifies a registry setting for the local machine only. You can verify this by taking your readonly disk and inserting it on a different computer and you should see that you have write access.

Comment

Hi Richard

thank you for your reply.

And you're right - the readonly seems to stay on the local machine. Another machine can happily delete/write to the memory stick. Doh!

Any ideas that will allow some protection that ImageUSB will copy to the target sticks?
      attrib *.* +R then create the image is something. I was hoping for something a little harder to undo ...... attrib *.* -r seems to easy to reverse.

best regards
      Pete

Comment

If you are looking to write protect the contents of the drive, you can look into USB drives with physical write lock out switches on them (or distribute the contents on read only optical media).

Comment

Working...
        X