Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• imageUSB will not clone 2nd partition used to boot a Linux distro

Hi!
    I have a 32GB flash drive that I run a persistent Linux distro on.

It has 2 fat 32 partitions on it. One for the OS the other for data.

Because Windows can not see a second partition the data partition is the first one,

which also means that imageUSB can not see the partition with the OS on it that I want to clone.

I hope that someone has a work around, other than switching the partitions. Even if I did the the whole flash drive will not be copied like I want.

Thanks in advance

This was answered via email and reply is being copied here.

If imageUSB lists either of the partition on the drive, then it should be okay. When imaging it will actually copy the whole physical disk.

We have plans to change imageUSB to show physical disks instead of partitions assigned drive letters by the Windows OS, but we do not have a time frame of when this change will be implemented.

Comment

Originally posted by Richard (PassMark) View Post
      This was answered via email and reply is being copied here.

THANKS! For the quick reply. It did work! EXCEPT I do not think that it got the network WiFi password for some reason.

I will double check that some day but for the time being I am elated.

I was told to try CloneZilla to clone USB drives and may try it next.

Regards!

Comment

Thanks! I got your email and it has worked very well so far.

I am wondering why it did not seem to copy over the WiFi login of the Linux distro.
        I will keep my eye on this behavior and see if it continues

Comment

I am wondering why it did not seem to copy over the WiFi login of the Linux distro.
          The likely chance is that it was not there in the original image. imageUSB does a byte by byte copy of the disk, so it would know nothing about where the WiFi login location is stored on the drive to choose to specifically to ignore it.

Comment

THat is what I thought. I am going to double check someday though as I am 99% sure that the WiFi password was in the original.

Comment

We have plans to change imageUSB to show physical disks instead of partitions
              This has now been implemented in the latest release.
              So USB flash drives can now be copied regardless of the partition type, or file system in use.

Comment

Working...
              X