Laptop Keys Not Working

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Laptop Keys Not Working

I used my laptop last night and had no problems. As I was about to log out, the screen went black as if the laptop had gone into hibernation mode. I completed the shut down procedures.

On using the laptop this morning, the keys were all messed up. I was trying to type in a website, but what was being typed in the address bar was not what I was actually typing.

Can you please help me?

Too much to drink maybe ?

Check the language settings in the Windows control panel. Maybe some configuration setting has changed and you now have, for example, a French keyboard set. French keyboards are AZERTY instead of QWERTY.

If you get a double key press or some keys that don't work, it might be a hardware fault.

Or it could be some malware software playing with your head.

Comment

Laptop Keys Not Working

Thanks for that.

I did what you suggested and it changed it settings. Its now working.

I see that your from Sydney. I lived there, but now live in the USA.

Comment

My Sony VaiO laptop suddenly hardly to use 3 buttons R, Y and U
        It's still work but so slow and have to put 4-5 times.
        Sometimes it's disappear when I restore my windows some previous days ago, but happen again after half an hour working.
        I dont know why? might be virus or some function conflict together.
        I saw in Task Manager a command wscntfy.exe (around 2Mb) when I kill it, the keyboard problem disappear. but it process appear again automatically. I don't know where is process from?
        RYU problem really annoy me because I have to access my laptop by password everyday, please help me.
        Thanks in advances

could you send your advice via my email: nqhuy.mr@gmail.com

Comment

Originally posted by passmark View Post
          Too much to drink maybe ?

Check the language settings in the Windows control panel. Maybe some configuration setting has changed and you now have, for example, a French keyboard set. French keyboards are AZERTY instead of QWERTY.

If you get a double key press or some keys that don't work, it might be a hardware fault.

Or it could be some malware software playing with your head.
          Could you please show me how to access or edit the configuration setting ?
          Might be my keboad poblem is a French keyboard set. French keyboards are AZERTY instead of QWERTY.

Comment

wscntfy.exe is a normal Windows process. It is very unlikely that it is causing 3 keys on your keyboard not to work.

A coffee spill, leading to intermittent behaviour would seem more likely. The behaviour changing with the software you have running might be be random and coincendental.

Comment

[QUOTE=nqhuy.mr;7210]My Sony VaiO laptop suddenly hardly to use 3 buttons R, Y and U

I have exactly the same problem: I have a Sony VaiO laptop. Last night it worked fine, but today the keys r, y, u and PageUp are not working. I type this message with an external USB-keyboard. What could be the problem?
              (BTW I do not have a running process called wscntfy.exe)

best egads,

obbo

Comment

Did you try contacting Sony?

Comment

Originally posted by passmark View Post
                  Did you try contacting Sony?
                  Yes, they say I should get a new keyboard. Of course, my guarantee period ended a half year ago.

best regards, Rob

Comment

I would confirm the hardware is bad by either installing a clean version of Windows and retesting, and / or a self booting version of Linux. e.g boot Linux from a CD and test the keyboard.

I don't know how they build those laptops, but maybe you could try popping off the keys and cleaning it. I have also read that you can swap your own keyboard, and instructions are available on the net. If you don't feel confident doing this, just take it to the man.

Comment

Some keys not working. (G,H, ampersand, backspace)

I even did a complete restore! Got mad and with my index finger I poked "G" pretty hard. And all four keys started to work. As you can see!

Comment

please help my key @ not working

I used HP laptop and yesterday i decided to install window 7 to laptop and the installation went fine but i discover that shift key + 2 key for @ not working. Can you please advice the solution to make working.

Thanks

Comment

Try an external keyboard.
                          See if the shift key and 2/@ key works when used by themselves. Try the right shift key instead.

Comment

My laptop keypad isn't working

When i type 'uiop' it's displaying as '7890' and when i press 7890 it's showing as m,./ and the remaining half of the keypad is working fine. Can anyone help out?

Comment

What make and model is the laptop?
                              Do you have the "Fn" key stuck down?

Comment

Working...
                              X