Error message, no sound card installed/driver

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Error message, no sound card installed/driver

We've recently had some problems with our computer that prompted us to reinstall windows XP professional. Everything went fine when I was reinstalling it. I decide to listen to some music, when I put in a CD I got an error message that said, "Cannot play back the audio stream; no audio hardware is available, or the hardware is not responding."

So I went to run > dxdiag

And my Directx didn't have a sounds tab, and when I did a Directx music, it said there was "no sound driver found". { DirectMusic test results: Failure at step 6 (Activating the IDirectMusicPort): HRESULT = 0x88780078 (No driver) } Also under my device manager I can't seem to find any sound card. I'm not sure what kind of sound card I have, or even where a manual on the computer is. I don't think we even have one. But the sound was working before the reboot.

I would open up the computer case and have a look at what hardware I had.

Then I would find and install the device driver for that hardware by searching on the Net.

Comment

Error message no sound card installed... also windows xp

I'm having the exact same problem... the sound was fine until I had to reinstall windows xp.

Okay, I opened up my computer to have a look at the sound card and I'm not sure of what it looks like exactly. I know it's a small narrow board, and I do have one... but I don't know if it's a sound card. I went to the site "ProMos Technology" and it looks like a memory board. Sorry, if I sound like a novice... but I am. Can somebody help me?

Thanks, Patty

Comment

This question is really nothing to do with our SoundCheck software.
        Note that for many newer computers the sound functions are built into the motherboard. If to be honest if you can't identify what type of hardware you have, or even if you have a sound card, then it is time to call in a IT professional.

Comment

Working...
        X