Intel i7 not up to spec

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Intel i7 not up to spec

Im benchmarking a new machine i just built and its not running as well as it should be. I am running a 32 bit os though.

Intel i7 920 at 2.67ghz

The CPU mark figure doesn't look too bad for a 32bit machine. It might be the the disk and not the CPU making the machine feel slow. I am assuming it feels slow, or are you just worried about the benchmark numbers.

Comment

Cpu

I have a ssd drive that reads at over 200MB a second. The machine performs great for the most part. The cpu "according to passmark" isnt performing as well as it should be, compared to others who have the same processor. Esp the integer math test. Could this be caused by running 32bit vista, vs 64 bit windows 7.

Comment

See this post about the Integer maths test and differences between 32bit and 64bit.

The CPU mark figure doesn't look too bad for a 32bit machine. 64bit machines do score higher in the CPU tests.

Comment

64 bit os was the key

I just finished installing windows 7 and loaded all the newest drivers and ran performancetest 7 and my cpu rating is now much better, 5926.....now i just need to see why the cd mark is so slow(913)

Comment

900 is actually a pretty good CD mark (the average for submitted results is about 450). If you're looking at some baselines with scores of several thousand or more for the CD mark these people are 'cheating' by using virtual CD drives where the CD image is just being read straight off the harddrive (or even stored entirely in RAM for even more absurd results)

Comment

I have the same problem but I am running the 64bit version of windows !!!!
              Can anyone suggest anything please.

Comment

My guess would be that you are running the native 32bit version of PerformanceTest on the 64bit operating system. So try downloading the native 64bit release of PerformanceTest.

Comment

Thank you
                  you were absolutely right. I was running the 32 bit performanceTest.
                  I changed to the 64 bit test and the math mark increased to the expected levels.

I have 6gb of ram but the test shows only 3.5gb available. Do you have any idea why ?

Comment

I am not sure where you are reading this from. But it could be normal if it is free RAM you are talking about. The other 2.5GB might be used by the O/S, disk cache & other programs.

Comment

Working...
                    X