Learn me please - high end video cards

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Learn me please - high end video cards

I have a question as to how the passmark test applies to rl gaming on the high end video cards.

I play quite a varity of mmo's and first person shooters and would like to know how the GTX 480/470 and ATI 58/5970 really compare for playing those games.

I see that they are like the top 4 but how close to rl gaming is the passmark test?

If someone could enlighten me I would greatly appreciate it. I is afeared of buying the wrong video card

Thanks
    Ebronco1968

If you are buying a video card just to play a particaular couple of games, then you should search out benchmarks for those particaulr games. Different games will place different load on the CPU, GPU & RAM. It might be that a faster video card will be of little use for a particaular game unless you also upgrade your CPU for example.

The video card benchmark scores on our site give a general indication of GPU processing power. They won't exactly match the performance of any particaular game.

Comment

Here is what I'm thinking of using for my new computer. It will be used for a varity of games. So I won't be able to optimize for just a few. If you could tell me what you think and give me any thoughts on what Vid Card you think would fit my needs I would apprecaite it.

MB: ASUS Rampage III Extreme LGA 1366 Intel X58 SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX Intel
      CPU: Intel Core i7-980X Extreme Edition Gulftown 3.33Ghz
      Ram: 6 X 2GB G.SKILL trident 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM (PC3 16000)
      Main Drive: Kingston SSDNow V+ Series SNVP325-S2B/128GB
      VC: ? lol Not looking to spend the money on the 4gb cards but the above mentioned are in my price range. I'm getting two but will not be running SLI/Xfire and will be running four monitors.

So going on that if you have any recommendations let me know.

Thanks
      Ebronco1968

Comment

You might need a 2nd larger HDD. As 128GB is pretty small by todays standards.

Do you really need 4 monitors? Most games won't support 4. And for those that do, 3 in generally a better option (due to the monitor bevels).

3 monitors with AMD Eyefinity might make some sense.
        http://sites.amd.com/us/underground/...eyefinity.aspx

All the cards you mentioned should give good performance.

Comment

I'll be using 3 monitors for one of the games I play, the forth will be just to browse the internet mainly, though I will be able to use 4 in that game also..

The SSD drive is just for my boot and game disk, I'll be running 2 1tb drives for all other information.

Comment

Working...
          X