Very low score for Core 2 Duo 6700 [Solved]

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Very low score for Core 2 Duo 6700 [Solved]

Trying to figure something out here. I have a system with the following specs:

Core 2 Duo 6700 2.66GHz
    8 GB RAM
    Geforce 260 GTX
    Windows 7 64-bit

I recently had to replace my motherboard and power supply due to a bad power supply. Everything else seemed to be okay, but I'm a bit concerned about the processor now.

I just finished installing Windows 7 64-bit and everything seemed okay. I let the Windows Experience Index do its performance check and everything scored the same as always except the processor. Usually, it scores a 5.1 and now scores a 2.6.

I downloaded Passmark benchmark (the 64-bit version) and ran it. My CPU mark was 511. It seems the average CPU mark for my processor is 1650.

Not sure what's going on. I haven't loaded up the computer yet with any games or programs that would really put the cpu to the test. It's a fresh install. General operation seems okay. Task Manager shows both cores with activity.

But those scores have me a bit concerned. Any ideas?

See this FAQ to start with,
    Causes and Solutions for a slow PC

If this a new MB, then especially check the CPU temperature and if the heat sink is correctly seated on the CPU.

Also check the BIOS settings. Make sure you don't have the CPU under clocked or something silly like that.

Comment

Thank! I was just coming to report that I'd figured it out.

Short version is that one peg of the heatsink was not properly seated and the cpu was throttling down.

Here's the interesting bit. I was using the Intel monitoring software. Both it and the BIOS were reporting the CPU Thermal Threshold and temp were okay. But the fan speed looked much higher than it should.

I updated the BIOS with the latest update and suddenly, it showed the CPU temp higher than it should be and the thermal threshold at 0 (meaning it had reached the limit for where it throttles down). I guess the monitoring software was a more recent version than the BIOS.

Now getting a CPU mark of 1936.

Thanks again!

Comment

Working...
      X