Replacement for GF 9800 GTX +

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Replacement for GF 9800 GTX +

I am looking for a replacement for my 9800GTX+. I am lookin to run two ATI cards in crossfire as my MB does not support Nvidia's SLI. I am looking at each card being comparable to a 9800gtx+ or better but do not want to break the bank on this project. My budget is around $100 and $150 per card. Currently i am considering Radeon HD 5750 and 5770 but do not know how much of a difference I'll see between these two cards in crossfire and if the difference is worth the cost difference. What are your recomendations and is there a better option for me in my pricerange. Also can you make any recomendations as to wich brand i should go with? My current card is an MSI and I am not overly pleased with their product and customer support. My current card failed within its first 6 months I sent in it and was with out if for about 3 months and now about 1 year later it is starting to act up again.

My system:
    MB- Asus M4A89GTD
    Processor- AMD Phenom II X4 955 BE
    OS- Windows 7 home premium 64 Bit
    Ram- G. Skill Ripjaws 4GB DDR 3 (is this realy enough for a gaming machine)

I always prefer a single card solution where possible. In general they work with a wider range of applications, generate less heat, use less power, and there is less to go wrong.

I wouldn't expect good support from any of the card vendors. The margins are too small.

I would say 4GB of RAM is the minimum for a new machine. But I don't think you'll see a significant difference going to 6.

Comment

Thanks for the advise. In that case what would you recomend to replace my 9800GTX+. The main game I play is WOW.

Comment

WoW is a fairly old game now. And the video card requirements aren't all that high (compared to new release games).

I would have thought the 9800GTX+ would already give you a frame rate of around 50fps?

And you probably wouldn't notice the difference between 50 and 90fps in normal game play.

If you really wanted to upgrade maybe the Nvidia GTX 460 or ATI 6850 or 6870. All should be well under your budget.

Comment

Also, I don't play WoW, but does it even support SLI & Crossfire?

Comment

Working...
          X