GTX 465 vs. GTX 460

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• GTX 465 vs. GTX 460

Hey everybody, I know this question has been asked a lot but I can't find the answer that I am looking for. I recently built a Gaming Computer with the following specs:

1- Mother Board: Intel DX58SO (from the extreme series)
    2- Processor: Intel Core i7 950 @ 3.07 GHZ
    3- Memory (RAM): 16GB DDR3
    4- Power Supply: 720 watts

I just wasn't lucky with my current graphics card ("ATI Radeon HD5770") and I'm planning to change it (in the coming 2 days). I actually have 2 choices, either the "Zotac Geforce GTX 465", or the "Zotac Geforce GTX 460". I already know the Price difference, and that the "GTX 465" needs more power than the "GTX 460". But why does the "GTX 460" perform better than the "GTX 465"? and why is it cheaper?

For a gaming computer, which one is truly better? (disregarding Noise and Heating issues...)

May you please provide some evidence on your answers?

Thanks, hope you reply soon...

The 460 is slightly newer and uses a smaller chip, the GF104, compared the larger and older GF100 chip.

The 460 is a newer generation of cards.

You can find all the details in the AnandTech review,
    http://www.anandtech.com/show/3809/n...he-200-king/19

Comment

Thanx for the info

Thanks, so I'll get the 460, I guess my computer will then be able to run the games at maximum settings, and act as a server when I need to...
      Am I right?

Comment

Depends on the game. Should be able to run most of the current games and near max settings (depending on your monitor(s) resolution(s)). But the industry moves on quickly, and in 12 months new games will be more demanding.

You don't need a video card at all to run as a server in general.

Comment

Why near max settings? I already can run latest games with maximum settings on 17" monitor with "1440 x 900", I agree however that within the next 12 months games will be more demanding

As for running it as a server, I don't do it much...the main purpose for the computer is gaming. So that's it, GTX 460 should do great?

Comment

If you were running dual, or more monitors, and they were for example the Dell U3011 (2560 x 1600 resolution each), then I don't think you are going to max them all out.

Comment

Working...
            X