Performance Issues with GTX 470

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Performance Issues with GTX 470

I don't think I'm getting all I can out of my GTX 470. The first time I ran Performance Test I got 6.9 fps complex test, with the other 3D test results being mediocre as well. I couldn't believe this so I re-ran the test and got the same result. I then rebooted and tweaked the memory settings a bit--going from DD2 1000, 5-5-5-10 to DDR2800 4-4-4-10--and got a result of 62.7. Now I don't think the improvement was from the RAM speed/timing change, surely it was some quirk with Windows. Anyway, 62.7 is definitely better, but it seems like it's still a little short of the mark. Same thing with DirectX10, only getting 43.5 when it seems like I could have more.

Is my processor holding me back here? The thing is, I got ridiculous numbers on the other 3D tests, so I'm thinking this might be something like a driver problem (I have the latest: 8.17.12.6658 ) . In any case, I'm installing a Q9650 in here later today (waiting on delivery) and will find out, but I'm hoping to have this system at top speed before dropping it in.

Is it the CPU or should I be seeing better numbers?

Here are my specs:

Core2Duo E6750 (@3.2GHz, 400MHz FSB)
    Kingston HyperX 8GB DDR2 800 (4-4-4-10) (@800 MHz)
    PNY nVidia GeForce GTX 470 1280MB GDDR5
    ADATA S599 64GB SSD (rated R:280MB/s W:270MB/s)
    Windows 7 64-bit, nVidia driver 8.17.12.6658

And here are the test results for CPU and 3D Graphics:

CPU Mark
    This Computer 2327.0

CPU - Integer Math
    This Computer 762.2

CPU - Floating Point Math
    This Computer 1009.5

CPU - Find Prime Numbers
    This Computer 550.6

CPU - SSE
    This Computer 5.8

CPU - Compression
    This Computer 3340.8

CPU - Encryption
    This Computer 9.9

CPU - Physics
    This Computer 154.7

CPU - String Sorting
    This Computer 1721.9

3D Graphics Mark
    This Computer 2849.0

Graphics 3D - Simple
    This Computer 3436.4

Graphics 3D - Medium
    This Computer 1513.0

Graphics 3D - Complex
    This Computer 62.7

Graphics 3D - DirectX 10
    This Computer 43.5

Passmark rating: 1518.1

Looking at other results for similar CPU/Video card would seem to indicate that you are getting a reasonable result, on par with similar machines.

I wouldn't expect a huge change as a result of the new CPU. As the main advantage of the new CPU is additional cores. And the 3D tests tend to only use 2 cores. The CPU results should improve however.

Comment

Originally posted by passmark View Post
      Looking at other results for similar CPU/Video card would seem to indicate that you are getting a reasonable result, on par with similar machines.

I wouldn't expect a huge change as a result of the new CPU. As the main advantage of the new CPU is additional cores. And the 3D tests tend to only use 2 cores. The CPU results should improve however.
      Thanks for the response! I'll post my results with the new CPU, we'll see if you're right

E: Here's the verdict. With the new processor installed and overclocked to 3.6 GHz (400 MHz FSB) I get an overall score of 2225.2. The complex score.... dipped a little to 68.3. Oh well. I'm happy with the CPU score improvements.
      Last edited by ApexRogers; Feb-16-2011, 02:51 AM.

Comment

Working...
      X