HDD benchmarks

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• HDD benchmarks

Does anyone else think the HDD benchmarks are wildly inaccurate? It seems that they must be very highly dependent on the system performance because the spread of similar drives (HDD vs SSD) and SSD drives using the same controllers (Sandforce, Indilinx, etx) is too much variance to be purely the device itself.

Does anyone really believe that an OCX Vertex3 is 50% better than the next best SSD, or the top 5 are 30% better than the next 5?

I would really like some context to benchmarks like this.

The OCX Vertex 3 is a fast drive without any doubt. But I agree that it does appear to be a bit too far in front of some of the other drives in the list.

The Vertex 3's result in the chart is an average of more than 50 different machines with this drive installed (as of today, 3/May/11). An interesting aspect is that 95% of these machines are really high end, Fast i7 CPUs, new motherboard, etc.. So they are probably nearly all using the SATA III 6.0gbps interface as well.

The OCX Vertex 3 uses the SF-2200 controller. There aren't too many others using this yet.

It is claimed that the Patriot (Wildfire) does, but they seem to be not released as yet?

It is also claimed that the SuperTalent TeraDrive CT3 uses the SF-2200. But they also seem to be rare or non existent at the moment.

So the Vertex3 seems to be first to the market with this new part, and so has a big lead. I suspect that once other SSDs are out over the next couple of months they'll match the performance of the Vertex3. But the SF-2200 must also be particularly friendly to this particular disk benchmark.

Comment

hi

im a bit confused my overal score was 1180 is that good or bad thanks

Comment

If 1180 was your Diskmark score and you have a OCX Vertex3, then the result is bad. The average for the OCX Vertex3 is 3361 at the moment.

Comment

hi

ok here is the test saved as a image can u briefly tell me if good or bad thanx

Comment

hi

http://2.bp.blogspot.com/-YQHPwE-MDs0/TeJ47c3MVXI/AAAAAAAAAmE/uP_BvIS6p-o/s1600/PerfRes.png
            this link to image works
            Last edited by toady8; May-29-2011, 04:50 PM.

Comment

You posted in a HDD thread about the OCX Vertex3 Solid state drive.
              So I assume you have this SSD? If so, your result (Diskmark 360) is very bad.

Comment

hi

did you see the image of the bench mark printout with the link ? http://2.bp.blogspot.com/-YQHPwE-MDs0/TeJ47c3MVXI/AAAAAAAAAmE/uP_BvIS6p-o/s1600/PerfRes.png just copy n paste in your browser thanks

Comment

Just an FYI my 120 gig Vertex 3 MI gets a disk score of around 2500 on the Intel ICH10R SATA II controller run in AHCI mode. Using the on board Marvell 9128 SATA III controller in AHCI mode I get a disk score of around 2800. Note The Marvell 9128 controller is a poor performer compared to the native SATA III controller on SandyBridge or even the native SATA III controller on later AMD systems that have proper bios support. Reason being the 9128 controller was never designed for the speed of SSD's. Also the 9128 controller only supports a 1x PCI-E 2.0 connection. So a disk score of 3300-3400 sounds right to me for a single Vertex 3 on SandyBridge or supporting AMD chipsets. See sig for my system spec's.

Bill
                  Main Box*AMD Ryzen 7 5800X*ASUS ROG STRIX B550-F GAMING*G.SKILL 32GB 2X16 D4 3600 TRZ RGB*Geforce GTX 1070Ti*Samsung 980 Pro 1 TB*Samsung 860 EVO 1 TB*Samsung 860 EVO 2 TB*Asus DRW-24B3LT*LG HL-DT-ST BD-RE WH14NS40*Windows 10 Pro 21H2

Comment

did you see the image of the bench mark printout with the link ? ... just copy n paste in your browser thanks
                    Yes, thanks for the instructions on using a browser.

I saw it, and I still think it is a bad disk result.

Comment

hi

ok so what would cause this result in your opinion

Comment

hi

thanks do you have any idea what would cause this score to be so low

Comment

Maybe the result is normal for your hardware. Hard to know as we don't know what hardware you have.

See also this post,
                          Causes and Solutions for a slow PC

Comment

hp

i have a new hp envy 17 as to hardware what did you exactly want to know

Comment

This thread was all about the OCX Vertex3 SSD.

But now you are saying you don't have a OCX Vertex 3. But something else in a HP laptop. Laptops have slow drives (there are at least 4 options for the HP laptops), and maybe the result is normal.

Again, check out this post,
                              Causes and Solutions for a slow PC

Comment

Working...
                              X