Hyper-threading

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hyper-threading

How does hyperthreading make a task go faster? If I heard right, it is treating one processor like it is two and thus multitasking, but if it is using the same core which has the same speed, how would this speed things up exactly?

It uses different parts of the same core. For example one thread might be doing integer addition, and another thread might be doing floating point multiplication. So both threads can run at once (some of the time).

Comment

Integer operations and floating point ops can't be done in the same thread? Is separating them really more efficient? (new paragraph) (screw you, stupid board-filter) Oh and one question, when I run single-threaded programs I notice it says its taking 13% of CPU in task manager, would disabling hyper-threading make it go twice as faster since it will show 25%?

Comment

Integer operations and floating point ops can't be done in the same thread?
        Yes they can. But if your application has 2 threads doing different things, then both things can possibly be done at the same time with HT. If your application has only a single thread, then HT will provide no performance advantage.

Disabling HT will not double your performance.

Comment

Working...
        X