Single-thread benchmark

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Single-thread benchmark

You should include a single-thread performance category so people can find out what the best single-thread CPU is and how they compare to other CPUs.

At the moment we don't have this data.

Comment

too bad

that's a shame, precisely this is the information i could use since even nowadays most applications cannot run on multiple threads and are bound to single core perfomance.

Comment

even nowadays most applications cannot run on multiple threads and are bound to single core perfomance
        I think it is probably the opposite. Almost all popular CPU intensive applications are now multi-threaded. But what is probably true is that many don't scale very well in going from 2 to 4 to 8 cores. (i.e. 8 cores doesn't equal 8 times the speed, but is still much better than 1 core).

Comment

FWIW, I 2nd the idea of having a single-thread performance category. For now I guess one can take the benchmark and divide by the number of cores? bleh. -Holiday

Comment

I disagree with PassMark. I write batch apps in COBOL and vb.net for my company, they all run single threaded. I have been doing like user "holiday" and have been dividing the benchmark by the number of Cores to get a number i can compare with ... Note: the number of cores is also not on the Site and must be looked up one at a time off the web.

Comment

I disagree with PassMark. I write batch apps in COBOL...
              Hmmm, I don't know if your COBOL applications fall into the category of a 'popular CPU intensive application'.

In any case, as of a few days ago we started collecting data on single threaded performance of different CPUs as part of the PerformanceTest V8 beta release.

You can find a table showing the single threaded performance of some common CPUs here. More extensive graphs are coming soon.

Update 11/Oct/2012: New single threaded graphs are now available here.

Comment

Working...
              X