GeForce 9800M GTS or GeForce GTX 260M

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• GeForce 9800M GTS or GeForce GTX 260M

So I'm not very computer literate and I'm basically just trying to buy a good gaming laptop for my boyfriend. I bought a GATEWAY P-7908u with a GeForce GTX 260M. I was trying to compare it to a Gateway P-7801u with a GeForce 9800M GTS.

From what the video benchmark says, the GeForce GTX 260M has a 703, whereas the GeForce 9800M GTS has a 795. Does that mean that the 9800m gts is better? Please help explain this because I have no clue.

Thanks!

If, as you say, you already bought the GATEWAY P-7908u. Then isn't it now a bit late to worry about the specs of other machines?

Correct me if I am wrong, but both of these machines are now at least a couple of years old. You shouldn't even be able to buy them as new anymore as they have been replaced by newer faster models. So I assume you are buying 2nd hand machines?

When they were on current, a few years ago, I see they were advertised like this, "The Gateway P-7801u is built upon the cutting-edge Intel Centrino 2 processor technology platform with a 2.26GHz Intel Core 2 Duo P8400 processor...Blazing performance...". But even 2 years ago this was never true. The P8400 was mid range at best at the time (and now old).

If you are buying a new machine, Don't get either of these machines. Get something current instead.

Comment

Originally posted by passmark View Post
      If, as you say, you already bought the GATEWAY P-7908u. Then isn't it now a bit late to worry about the specs of other machines?

Correct me if I am wrong, but both of these machines are now at least a couple of years old. You shouldn't even be able to buy them as new anymore as they have been replaced by newer faster models. So I assume you are buying 2nd hand machines?

When they were on current, a few years ago, I see they were advertised like this, "The Gateway P-7801u is built upon the cutting-edge Intel Centrino 2 processor technology platform with a 2.26GHz Intel Core 2 Duo P8400 processor...Blazing performance...". But even 2 years ago this was never true. The P8400 is mid range at best at the time (and now old).

If you are buying a new machine, Don't get either of these machines. Get something current instead.
      I know it's too late to worry about it, but I at least want to know which is better.

And yes, both of the laptops are pretty old. I think they were made around 2009. And yes, I did buy a 2nd hand machine but that's not my concern.

Again, my question was one about WHICH is better. I'm aware that there are better laptops available as there always is something new and improved each year. And I don't plan on buying something over $1000 for something current. I don't want the best laptop available as that is not in my budget and I'm not trying to spoil the guy.

So the question still remains... which is better? Please no recommendations. I just want to know if one outperforms the other. Thank you...

Comment

The 2 chips are fairly close in performance. So close that you might not notice the difference when gaming.

Our benchmark rates the GeForce 9800M GTS as being slightly better. I am aware of other benchmark results that show the reverse however, that the 260M is slightly better. So what is best probably depends on the particular game and what hardware is in the rest of the system (i.e. the CPU in the laptop, amount of RAM, effect on battery life, etc..).

Comment

Working...
        X