Low marks with GTX 760 egpu

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Low marks with GTX 760 egpu

So i got this used GTX 760 and im getting really low marks compared to average as you may see from here: http://www.passmark.com/baselines/V8...id=68327058641
    Im using this with ASUS N56VJ as EGPU(exp gdc). In some games it runs perfectly(world of tanks, csgo), much better than my old gtx 650ti but in some like Rocket League and the crew i got massive fps drop, even with low settings. Low fps made me benchmark my gpu. I have tried different driver, older ones and latest, i have reinstalled windows 10, nothing.
    What do you think? Maybe bad PSU( chieftec gps-550ab-a )
    Thanks for any help!

I would imagine it is two issues combined.
    1) People with high end video card usually also have high end desktop CPUs. But your mobile CPU will be a bit slower.
    2) The external GPU likely has bandwidth limitations. How does the external GPU connect to the laptop. I am assuming you don't have a PCI-E 3.0 x16 slot ?

and maybe... some titles are detecting the internal GT 635M GPU and using that card instead of the external card.

Comment

Originally posted by David (PassMark) View Post
      I would imagine it is two issues combined.
      1) People with high end video card usually also have high end desktop CPUs. But your mobile CPU will be a bit slower.
      2) The external GPU likely has bandwidth limitations. How does the external GPU connect to the laptop. I am assuming you don't have a PCI-E 3.0 x16 slot ?

and maybe... some titles are detecting the internal GT 635M GPU and using that card instead of the external card.
      Ty for your answer!
      i have it connected to my wifi card slot, but it shouldn't really matter that much. I have read that i should get atleast 70% power of the card. And world of tanks is much more demanding than rocket league what makes me think that card cant be faulty?.What's interesting that i cant even get 1/3 of my video card compared to benchmarks.(average 4900, mine 1500).
      I thought that aswell that it's detecting gt 635m, but i've tried to change it through control panel. i dont know if its working or not.

Comment

Can you disable the 635m in BIOS or in device manager?

That Wifi slot might only be PCIe 2.0 x1. Which is pretty slow. How big an impact this has will depend on the particular game and how memory buffers (textures) are shifted between the CPU and the GPU.

If you want to test the card drop it into a full desktop machine and see how it goes. I think it is unlikely to be a PSU problem if it works on in some games.

Comment

Working...
        X