Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• David (PassMark)
    replied
    A lot of it is just marketing to take advantage of people.
    2GB sounds twice as good as 1GB to the uninformed consumer.

This might change in another few years with increasing monitor resolution and bigger more advanced games. So 2GB is slightly more future proof. But any video card you buy now will seem old in a few years regardless of if you have 1GB or 2GB of RAM.

Leave a comment:

• Huma
    replied
    Thanks.

So what is the purpose of the extra ram if it is only slightly useful at higher resolutions? I realize I asked based on the benchmarks, but I guess a real world practical answer, is what I was going for.

Why add two or three times the ram, if it is only a slight increase in performance?

Leave a comment:

• David (PassMark)
    replied
    The benchmark doesn't use a huge amount of video RAM. So performance in similar with 512MB - 2GB.

Some games might benefit slightly from > 1GB RAM if you are running at very high video resolutions. (Beyond 1920x1080)

Leave a comment:

• Huma
    started a topic 1gb vs 2gb video card RAM

1gb vs 2gb video card RAM

Hi all, excuse me if this is the wrong place or could be found elsewhere.
    I am wondering about the memory variances of the 1, 1.5 and 2gb video cards. I am assuming the benchmarks are of the 1gb versions. What improvement should be expected from the extra memory?

For example, the GTX 550 has a 2gb version. Would that be comparable to say a GTX 460? Or, is it the same benchmarks but with less stress on the card/cpu?

Thanks
    Last edited by Huma; Jan-16-2012, 04:06 AM.
Working...
X