A6-3420M vs. A6-3400M

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A6-3420M vs. A6-3400M

I am really confused regarding the PerformanceTest benchmark score for AMD A6-3420M. The score for A6-3400M is 3375 but this updated CPU with 100MHz higher clock frequency (both regular and turbo) get a MUCH lower score, currently 1964.

I am about to buy a new laptop and don't need a "super fast" one, I just want a cool and quiet laptop, preferably with a long battery time. But I would like to know why the score is lower (and a lot at that) on the newer A6-3420M.

Does anybody have any information/answers that could help ease my mind?

Zigge

From the link below it looks like the only difference is the 100MHz higher clock frequency so the a6-3420m should be slightly faster. After looking at the baseline files available there are only a few a6-3420m's in the database but tons of the a6-3400m. This may paint a false picture. Its possible because of the small number of results for the a6-3420m all tested laptops were tested in a low power mode so the APU was not running at full speed. Also I found some overclocked a6-3400m's that could be skewing the results. No guaranty but the a6-3400m will perform better after more people submit results. Also if you can wait someone from Passmark will most likely chime in. Could be a database or cpu ID problem also? If so Passmark is fast at fixing either problem if one exists. Oh if you are purchasing from a B&M store run PT on the demo model your looking at buying.
    http://compare-processors.com/amd-a6-3400m-vs-a6-3420m/1885/

Bill
    Main Box*AMD Ryzen 7 5800X*ASUS ROG STRIX B550-F GAMING*G.SKILL 32GB 2X16 D4 3600 TRZ RGB*Geforce GTX 1070Ti*Samsung 980 Pro 1 TB*Samsung 860 EVO 1 TB*Samsung 860 EVO 2 TB*Asus DRW-24B3LT*LG HL-DT-ST BD-RE WH14NS40*Windows 10 Pro 21H2

Comment

Yes, I think wonderwrench is correct.

For the AMD A6-3400M CPU we have 507 samples. 94% are 64bit. There is a grouping of results at a CPUMark of 2150, and another grouping at 3500. The probably represents the 2 main power states. Battery power and mains power.

For the AMD A6-3420M CPU we have only 8 samples. 87% are 64bit. There is a grouping at 2250. But nothing in the 3000+ range.

I think there are 4 issues.

1) The limited number of AMD A6-3420M samples were probably all run on battery power with the CPU in a low power state. Can't be 100% sure but this is likely. This effect disappears once we have 100s of samples. This is the major influence I think.

2) The higher % of 32bit results on the AMD A6-3420M slightly pull down the result. My estimate is only about 3% however.

3) We aren't correctly detecting excluding all the AMD A6-3400M chips that are overclocked. We made some changes in this area today. But more are still required. My estimate is that this might drop the result of the AMD A6-3400M by about 10%.

4) The A6-3420M has a high percentage of 'bad' results. Probably badly configured machines, or overheating machines. 2 of the 8 samples were bad. I have deleted these. So when the charts update overnight this will be reflected in the charts. There were a couple of bad ones as well for the A6-3400M, but < 0.5% of the samples.

Comment

Thank you so much for the extensive answer and of course, it makes perfect sense. Perhaps the benchmark program should notify the user that the computer is currently using the battery and the benchmark score will only be accurate when running on the power supply.

The AMD may not have the fastest CPU:s but the combined CPU/GPU solution is in my opinion the best deal for the money at the moment. And I must say that their AMD Trinity demo @ CES 2012 was truly amazing even though I think the A6-3420M will be sufficient for my needs. It depends on how long I have to wait for the right model to be available, HP ProBook S or Lenovo Thinkpad Edge are the ones I am looking for (only anti-glare screen for me).

Once again, thanks for putting my mind at ease!

Zigge

Comment

I'm actually glad I googled this. Because I was having the same issue with the same cpu A6-3400M and A6-3420M. This made me a hesitant to buy a laptop,I had to choose between two same laptop which had the same GPU but these two CPU. In conclusion from this thread I should go on with A6-3420M for performance right? or does anyone have any new info on this? the A6-3420M cpu still does show a smaller sample than the A6-3400M but clearly increased.

Comment

More samples have been collected since the initial posts above. The scores have moved a closer together but not by as much as I expected.

I think the results might also be suffering from the consequences of this AMD CPU bug. Maybe a much higher percentage of the the vendors selling the A6-3420M have patched their systems (reducing the performance).

Comment

I'll go with the A6-3400M then just to be safe.

Comment

A6-3420m

The CPU mark for my Asus K53T - A6-3420M with 6520G + 7670M 1GB and 6GB RAM is:

It has dual graphics but when doing the test it did not use the discrete gpu. Only the integrated was used. High Performance setting was used for the laptop.

http://www.staples.ca/ENG/Catalog/cat_sku.asp?CatIds=66%2C67,3199&webid=726133&affix edcode=WW
                Last edited by Khmerog; Jul-02-2012, 09:38 PM.

Comment

The images are not visible and the link goes nowhere. So I am not sure what you are asking about.

Comment

It's a bit embarrassing but I have to admit it, I still have not purchased my laptop. The passmark scores eventually showed up and in combination with the "poor" A6-3420M results, I decided to wait for Trinity. But this has been quite a stressful choice ... because they have not turned up in laptops at a pace that one would have expected (I know there is always some delay but come on ...). Even though I really like AMD and think they have a very compelling product here, I cannot wait forever.

The upcoming Windows 8 has some really nice updates but Microsoft have ruined this by forcing their new interface (formerly known as Metro) upon us all and this seems like a disaster in a desktop environment with mouse and keyboard. So there it is, hardware is late and Windows 8 (which I obviously don't want at this point) is getting closer (Oct. 26?).

I might have to buy Intel if the A8-4500M or A10-4600M doesn't show up in the laptops I am looking for. My requirements: 13.3 or 14 inch with "adequate" performance, good battery life and most importantly, anti-glare screen.

My list of interesting models so far:
                    • Lenovo Thinkpad E335 (I would have liked E435 but it's strangely not sold in Europe)
                    • HP Probook 6475b (can be bought in Sweden but only with A6-4400M so far)
                    • Lenovo L430 (this is my backup plan)

Comment

I have been using Windows 8 on and off for a few months. Yes it is different, and even bad in some ways. But it is still usable once all the shortcuts and quirks are known. It isn't a great step forward from Win7, but it wouldn't be enough reason for me to avoid a laptop with the best hardware.

Don't stress the CPU too much. Regardless of what you buy today you'll look back in 1 or 2 years and realize you have an old redundant CPU
                      For a laptop, I would actually think the screen, keyboard and getting a SSD is more important. A good SSD will benefit a laptop more than a slight improvement in CPU speed.

Comment

Originally posted by David (PassMark) View Post
                        I have been using Windows 8 on and off for a few months. Yes it is different, and even bad in some ways. But it is still usable once all the shortcuts and quirks are known. It isn't a great step forward from Win7, but it wouldn't be enough reason for me to avoid a laptop with the best hardware.

Don't stress the CPU too much. Regardless of what you buy today you'll look back in 1 or 2 years and realize you have an old redundant CPU
                        For a laptop, I would actually think the screen, keyboard and getting a SSD is more important. A good SSD will benefit a laptop more than a slight improvement in CPU speed.
                        I agree about the CPU, that's why I am looking for a passmark score in the region of 4000 where i5-3210M can be found. If I go with the Trinity models I get a little bit more than that and better graphics but they are all 35W models which is good thing in my world, lower TDP means cooler and more quiet.

My latest desktop computer is an undervolted (not underclocked) Intel i3-2100T so the TDP is lowered from 35W to 26W (AMD did not have something similar to offer so I had to go with Intel) combined with a decent heatpipe cooler. Passive cooling and still enough performance ... silence is a bliss !

I also agree on the SSD, one will be installed right away.

We don't share the opinion regarding Win8, I have not tested it to be honest but my brother has and I trust him regarding software. But I am really looking forward to seeing the reactions from the general population when it's launched.

Comment

Win8 is bad, but not as bad as the media is making out. I would prefer Win7 over Win8. But prefer Win8 over Vista. Vista also had a bunch of unwanted quirks, but was totally usable.

It is going to be ugly when it is released. But long term people will get use to it. There are hidden long term benefits. Like with the iPhone the 'UI formally known as Metro' will be a walled garden. This has a bunch of benefits for mums and dad users. For example install and uninstall of software should be faster & PCs should eventually be much more resistant to malware. eventually... one.. day....

Comment

I don't want this to derail, the discussion should be about the AMD Trinity models, but perhaps my concerns about the next Windows version isn't completely unfounded.

InfoWorld: Windows 8 review: Yes, it's that bad
                            www.infoworld.com/d/microsoft-windows/windows-8-review-yes-its-bad-200113
                            Last edited by Zigge; Aug-16-2012, 09:00 AM.

Comment

Since the release of Windows 8 was getting close and no Trinity laptop of my preferences were in sight here in Sweden, I had to give up. A Lenovo L430 with Intel i5-3210M has been purchased and it feels like a good deal. And when I replace the HDD with a SSD, I assume it will feel really nice.

But I still feel sad that I did not get the opportunity to test the Trinity platform, I believe it's a very good package for those with average needs.

The passmark score for A10-4600M is now so low that it feels like some people has run the benchmark test on battery and/or has a seriously bad Windows installation.

I hope for another chance on Trinity since I will replace my old desktop computer within 6 months or so. The criteria for the project is mini-ITX with passive cooling, silence is sweet!

Comment

Working...
                              X