Does A power connector on gpu really matter

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Does A power connector on gpu really matter

I have a gtx 1050 ti with now power cable, Does a power cable really make any difference

You either need it or you don't.

From Wikipedia,
    All sizes of PCIe ×16 cards are initially 25 W; half-height cards are limited to this number while full-height cards may increase their power after configuration. They can use up to 75 W (3.3 V×3 A + 12 V×5.5 A), though the specification demands that the higher-power configuration be used for graphics cards only, while cards of other purposes are to remain at 25 W.

So if your card doesn't use more than 75W, then no extra power connection is required.
    Probably means overclocking will break the PCIe standards however. Some motherboards will be OK with this. Some might not be.

Comment

I mean like, Gtx 1050 ti without power connector vs gtx 1050 ti with power connector, does it matter?

Comment

There should be more overclocking potential with an additional power connector.
        But not needing a connector means more compatibility with low end machines with low end power supplies.

Comment

Ok, because last time i have a pwoer cable run into my graphics card a capacitor on the graphics card blew up :P

Comment

Faults happen sometimes. I don't think the wattage of a video card is a good indication of the probability of failure.

Comment

Would it be because of a psu?

Comment

Most likely cause of a capacitor blowing up is that it was a bad (or old) capacitor

Comment

Working...
                X