Power supply popped and damage assessment

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Power supply popped and damage assessment

hey guys, i have a problem that frustrate the hell out me the past few days and i want your help.
    Three weeks ago i bought a new High end machine ( assembled PC)
    windows 7 64bits
    I7 6700k 4.0 Ghz
    GTX 1070
    DDR4 8GB ram
    120Gb SSD
    MSI Z170A gaming M3

However, i did not replace my old 500 watt power supply, and that led the power supply to die within 2 days (it popped and a spark came out of it. Needless to say, i almost cried like a baby when it happened )
    i replaced it with a brand new power supply and everything worked fine. However, When i bench-marked my PC using your software i got abysmal results with my RAM, Prime number & physics tests for the CPU.

I don't want to set the narrative but does the power supply incident affected my PC performance or could it be something else ? . because i read that power supply failure could affect other parts as well like motherboard.

For example my Corsair 1x8 gb ram, available ram and memory threaded tests i was below the 48% percentile ,memory write test i was below 55% percentile, memory read cached results were below the 70 % percentile.

For my CPU, the Prime number test and physics test i got bad results, but everything else is ok. I should not get these results for a 3 weeks old PC. Also my gaming experience is not good for what i paid for (i play total war games all the time)
    Why my results are bad ?? do i need to replace any parts or there is something else i need to know about ??.

All results are compared to the same module

I have no overheating problem or under voltage problems.
    CPU core voltage is 1.28 volt.
    Dram voltage 1.216 volt.
    Sorry for my rambling , but i am very frustrated.
    Last edited by hamad; Feb-17-2017, 07:17 PM.

It would be very unusual for a bad (or good) power supply to effect the speed of a PC. Normally with a PSU it is either a go or no go situation.

You would be better off with 2 sticks of RAM. 2 x 4GB is better than 1 x 8GB. Then the motherboard can use dual channel mode.
    Also check the BIOS settings for the RAM. If there is a XMP profile, then use it.

Comment

Working...
    X