balanced system scores

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• balanced system scores

I'd like to know if the scores of cpu, videocards, hdd/ssd are... I don't know the correct words, if they are in sync with each other, meaning that if the cpu score is ie:4000 and the hdd is 2000, does that mean that the cpu can handle 2x as much information as the hdd? making the cpu "wait" for the hdd to do its thing? would then a hdd with a score of 4000 make the most use of the cpu capabilities? and the same for the video card? so would it be a waste to have a cpu with a score of 4000 if neither the hdd and video card have that high a scores? and what about the ram speed? what's the mhz requiered to meet the capabilities of the other components?
    thx a mil for any answers

No, having a CPUMark of 4000 and a DiskMark of 4000 doesn't mean your system is balanced.

In any case what might be viewed as a 'balanced' system for a gamer would be not be a balanced system for a file server.

You should really look at how you use the computer, then decide where to spend the most money.

Comment

Originally posted by David (PassMark) View Post
      No, having a CPUMark of 4000 and a DiskMark of 4000 doesn't mean your system is balanced.

In any case what might be viewed as a 'balanced' system for a gamer would be not be a balanced system for a file server.

You should really look at how you use the computer, then decide where to spend the most money.
      ok, so how do I decide then, how can i know if/how balanced are the components? to minimize the waiting time of the components?

Comment

How you use the computer will determine what is important. You need to answer this question before you worry about balance.

Faster hardware never hurts (except for the pain in your wallet). Balance is about working out at what point does the extra expenditure on a component will no longer result in significant performance gains in the particular application that you are using.

Comment

Originally posted by David (PassMark) View Post
          How you use the computer will determine what is important. You need to answer this question before you worry about balance.

Faster hardware never hurts (except for the pain in your wallet). Balance is about working out at what point does the extra expenditure on a component will no longer result in significant performance gains in the particular application that you are using.
          thx, I understand now something I didn't before, I was thinking of the phisical data transfer/processing capacities of the components that I would like to know how to find out what they are, like the disk might be able to transfer 100MB/s to the buffer then to the motherboard then the cpu FSB might be able to take 200MB/s same for the ram and gpu, but yes now I understand how this is just a part of what is going on and how diferent types of apps use diferent components in varing degrees.
          thank you

Comment

Working...
          X