Memory Latency - Poor Scores for Model

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Memory Latency - Poor Scores for Model

I've been going a little off the wall here lately with these Latency Scores on my CMK32GX4M2A2666C16 x2 DDR4 Corsair Vengeance LPX -- They reported back at a 9th Percentile when compared to benches with the same model. What on earth is going on; I feel like I'm completely missing something. They do score almost in the upper 95th percentile and higher on all other scores.

I opened a Support Ticket with Corsair and they actually instant RMA'ed them, which I'm processing right now.

My replacement RAM Corsair CMK16GX4M2B3200C16 8GB x2 came in today and I was hoping to see an improvement; but the latency scores for these are just as low, at 11th percentile when compared with the same model. Latency Score was 68 while the average is 28.

Can anyone help me pin-point where my issue might be at? I'm now thinking that it's not actually my memory here...

What was the actual latency result?

What are the hardware specs for the rest of the machine. Maybe the CPU is old and slow and can't drive the RAM at it's full speed.

Did you check the BIOS settings and XMP settings?

Do you have the RAM in the correct slots on the motherboard?

Comment

Originally posted by David (PassMark) View Post
      What was the actual latency result?

What are the hardware specs for the rest of the machine. Maybe the CPU is old and slow and can't drive the RAM at it's full speed.

Did you check the BIOS settings and XMP settings?

Do you have the RAM in the correct slots on the motherboard?
      Ryzen 7 1800X - ASUS Crosshair VI Hero - EVGA nVidia GeForce GTX 1080

Attaching screens from CPU-Z report.

I do have both sticks in the Dual Channel slots. Now that you mention it, I have had a really hard time setting the RAM Frequency in BIOS (AMD). I've tried some of the 'Automatic' settings and even manually setting things to what looks to be 'correct' but it keeps just default back to 2133 MHz on me and CPU-Z reports timings lower than what's advertised on the sticks.
      Attached Files

Comment

Your results are about normal for the hardware.

See,
        http://www.memorybenchmark.net/latency_ddr4_amd.html

The AMD chips have high latency compared to the Intel chips. Intel has supported DDR4 for much longer than AMD, so the majority of DDR4 results we have are from Intel systems. Which means you are in a low percentile compared to the majority of people with DDR4.

So there is limited benefit to buying high speed RAM with an AMD chip.

Comment

Originally posted by David (PassMark) View Post
          Your results are about normal for the hardware.

See,
          http://www.memorybenchmark.net/latency_ddr4_amd.html

The AMD chips have high latency compared to the Intel chips. Intel has supported DDR4 for much longer than AMD, so the majority of DDR4 results we have are from Intel systems. Which means you are in a low percentile compared to the majority of people with DDR4.

So there is limited benefit to buying high speed RAM with an AMD chip.
          Thanks for the information. I can stop pulling my hair out now about the Latency.

The next item that's bugging me is why I can't get it to boot into it's actual advertised Speed and Timings. I think I just don't fully understand AMD's version of 'XMP' has it has all these different presets and of course the Auto/Manual (so there's a lot of combinations that seemed to overwhelm me)

Right now I have this RAM actually reporting at 2666 MHz, and the correct timings advertised; even though it has 3200 MHz on the box. As much as I sit here and try for hours... to get 3200 MHz to boot... :'(

Comment

The situation seems to be a bit confusing, but I don't think Ryzen supports 3200Mhz RAM speeds at the moment. But support seems to vary with the motherboard and BIOS versions.

Here's a comment from another post on Tom's hardware,

"To get your memory running at 3200mhz on the Crosshair VI Hero [with Ryzen] you will need to go into the bios advance mode and set the RAM speed to 3200mhz and the voltage from auto to 1.35v as it states on the RAM. Also you will need to go into the boot section of the bios and change the boot RAM voltage from auto to 1.35v. If this does not work try setting the boot voltage to 1.4v and leave the RAM voltage after boot at 1.35v. The first time you change this it should boot repeatedly a few times as it learns the RAM and then come up at 3200mhz."

Comment

Working...
            X