Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• CPU Comparison

Hello there!

After working with computers for over 40 years now (not for a profession though, only personally) I like to think that I have a good grasp of a more than the basics but this one has floored me so am seeking some guidance.

We are looking at replacing my Mum's desktop PC, which is now around 5/6 years old. The current one has an Intel Celeron G540 CPU. Now I would have assumed that any CPU that is >5 years older than anything currently available would automatically be a lot slower. You know, Moore's Law and all that.

So I was shocked when I did the attached CPU comparison! How can a 6-year-old processor be better than something only half that age? (Especially as the newer one has, if nothing else, twice the number of actual physical cores?

I freely admit that the intricacies of CPUs aren't my forte but I though I knew the basics!

Thanks.

You are comparing a desktop CPU (65W) to a low power mobile / tablet CPU (10W).
    So it isn't a fair comparison. And the time difference is only 3 years. Not 5 or 6.

Comment

I'm really more interested in how a processor from 2011 with only 2 physical cores can beat a 2014 processor with 4 of them. (And note they are both "desktop" processors!)

Also, 2011 was 6 years ago; hence the time-frame I mentioned was correct.

Thirdly, what does "number of samples" actually mean? Is that something to do with the CPU or the number of them that the site has tested?

Comment

CPU performance is largely limited by heat.
        So the 120W CPUs perform much faster than the 45W CPUs, all else being equal.
        As already mentioned you are comparing a 10W to a 65W CPU. So of course the 65W CPU does a lot better, even if slightly older.

Intel call the j2850 a Desktop CPU, but it is more suited to All-in-ones, tablets and mobile devices.

Like these devices
        https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00IO7QS3Y/?tag=ytv007-20

Intel describe them as "ideal for fanless and smaller form factor systems for entry level desktop computing. The processors are also ideal for vertical uses, including intelligent digital displays".
        And that was from the Intel marketing department. If they say it is only good for entry level, then you know it is really poor performance CPU.

The number of samples indicates the number of machines we have benchmarked with a particular CPU model. More samples means less margin for error.

Comment

Working...
        X