Hardware upgrade advice required

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hardware upgrade advice required

My PC has ECS - H61H2-M2 motherboard. It has 8GB DDR3 RAM. The processor is i3-2100 @3.10 GHz. The graphics card is NVIDIA GeForce GT 730 of 2GB capacity. The power supply is 450W. The motherboard, processor, one stick of 4GB DD3 RAM, power supply were bought in 2011 or 2012. The second 4GB stick of RAM was bought in 2017. I am using Windows 10 pro 64 bit.

The CPU cabinet was bought in 2005 or 2006. I do architectural work which involves making 3D models of buildings in SketchUp and still image photorealistic rendering in V-Ray.
    I also do photo editing work in Photoshop and use layout and graphics software viz. Adobe InDesign and Adobe Photoshop. I do occasional video editing that consists mostly of slide shows and the videos are of 4-5 minute duration in Adobe Premiere.

I am planning to buy a new i7 processor or AMD Ryzen 7. I want to keep 8GB RAM or maybe I will upgrade to 12 GB RAM. I never do gaming neither intend to do any gaming on my PC. I will use this for the exactly the same purposes that I mentioned.

I have the following queries.
    1. Which processor should I buy from the following ?
    Intel Core i7-7700 Processor 8M Cache, Up To 3.60 GHz 7th Generation which will cost me 24,596 bucks
    Amazon.in: Buy Intel Core i7-7700 Processor 8M Cache, Up To 3.60 GHz 7th Generation Online at Low Prices in India | Intel Reviews Ratings

AMD RYZEN 7 SERIES OCTA CORE PROCESSOR 1700 for 25,088 bucks. Not much of a price difference between the two processors
    https://www.amazon.in/AMD-RYZEN-OCTA...ywords=ryzen+7

Would I require any additional cooling for AMD Ryzen processor as the amazon web page mentions “WITH WRAITH SPIRE COOLING SOLUTION (AM4 SOCKET)”

2. Should I upgrade my graphics card also? The current graphics card that I have i.e. NVIDIA GeForce GT 730 of 2GB capacity was bought in 2017 only.

3. Should I buy a new power supply? I recently faced a hard disk trouble (WD hard disk bought in 2012) in which the pins of hard drive got blackened out that rendered it useless.

4. A friend of mine is suggesting to buy a new i5 processor or AMD Ryzen equivalent instead and buy a heavier better graphic card.

His point is to invest more money in graphic card in order to get better performance instead of sticking to a low end graphics card and pumping money in a high end processor. Is that true?

I am attaching screenshots of my hardware specs, the photographs of power supply and damaged hard drive.

Click image for larger version

Name:	CPU (1).png
Views:	860
Size:	38.5 KB
ID:	41457

Name:	CPU (2).png
Views:	636
Size:	22.2 KB
ID:	41455

Name:	CPU (3).png
Views:	614
Size:	20.2 KB
ID:	41456

You won't be able to re-use your DDR3 RAM. All new machines use DDR4.
    You'll want a new hard drive. Get a fast M2 boot drive and a larger SATA data drive.
    730 video card is cheap low performance unit. For all the 2D work it would be fine. For the 3D work much better cards are available.

I'd also suggest a new power supply, and as you want USB3 front ports, get a new case as well. In short you'll be better off buying a totally new machine and selling the old one as a working unit.

Either of those CPUs are fine. V-Ray and Premier might benefit from the extra cores in the Ryzen. i7 will be better for single threaded tasks.

Comment

Working...
    X